function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Keith SKeith S 

G Map W/ XP SP2

Has anyone been able to get Benji's G Map Custom S-Control to work with XP SP2? I followed the directions in the Breeze presentation and did change the setting for allowing the access data sources across domains for IE. The map of the US will display, but when I try and search for any leads, contacts or accounts I receive no records. This is the case in both IE and Firefox.

I created this in our production environment (admin access only) and my Dev account. Neither will work. This is such a basic s control and I can't figure out why it won't work. Any help is appreciated. I'm a lowly Business Analyst and not a developer so keep that in mind. :-)
DevAngelDevAngel
Hmm...

How about you try this yahoogle maps scontrol. This uses yahoo! for geocoding and google for mapping.

On the attached file, save it to your hard drive and change the extension to html. Then, remove the html body of the google maps scontrol and replace in with the contents of the attached file.
Keith SKeith S
Thanks Dave. I don't think I'm destined to get Google maps in our implementation.

I saved your file as a .html. When I try to open it I receive an error that "The google maps API key used on this web site was registered for a different web site. You can generate a new key by going to google.com/apis/maps/." So I went and registered to get a new key. I opened your file in notepad and searched for "key" and couldn't find anything that remotely resembled the key I received from google. I also opened the file in notepad and copied the body and replaced the body of the s control. Whenever I try to search for a lead, contact or account I receive an error that is "undefined".

On a new note, how can one search for help on these boards. Everytime I try a search I don't get any hits. I searched for yahoogle and came up with nothing. I would try and find answers on my own, but I can't figure out how to search the boards.
Keith SKeith S
Well, I figured out the search portion. I kept using the search in the top RH corner. You need to use the search in the lower LH corner. DUH!
Keith SKeith S
Got this figured out. It seems this is a real common issue. I found a post that Dave wrote with the following:

Check the url of the page that your gmap scontrol is hosted on. If it is https://na1.salesforce.com... then add https://na1.salesforce.com as a trusted site in the security tab of ie options. For the trusted sites, set the enable the Access data sources across domains setting.

That should do the trick.

Sure enough, it did the trick for me.
Eric_SantiagoEric_Santiago
Thanks so much dev angel. I was never able to get the code from the 8-11-05 version running. This code along with the suggestions regarding the security settings for IE realy helped. One question; why aren't these important bits of info part of the page describing the google maps s-control? http://www.crmsuccess.com/browse/feature_detail.jsp?id=00630000002jhTeAAI
It should be updated since the control is so prominently featured on the salesforce developers homepage and seems to be the most frequently asked questions about the control on these forums. Just my .02 Thanks again.
FrontlineCRMFrontlineCRM
I agree Eric. Lets get this code and necessary configurations posted on CRMSuccess.com. It may encourage more use and development of this powerful control.

Eric_Santiago wrote:
Thanks so much dev angel. I was never able to get the code from the 8-11-05 version running. This code along with the suggestions regarding the security settings for IE realy helped. One question; why aren't these important bits of info part of the page describing the google maps s-control? http://www.crmsuccess.com/browse/feature_detail.jsp?id=00630000002jhTeAAI
It should be updated since the control is so prominently featured on the salesforce developers homepage and seems to be the most frequently asked questions about the control on these forums. Just my .02 Thanks again.

FrontlineCRMFrontlineCRM
DevAngel, have you figured out a way to get the Yahoogle sforce control to work in Firefox?
goomangooman

The Yahoogle s-control seems to work well on the sample data, but doesn't work if I include UK addresses. The diagnostics pane shows:

lat diff: 0, max is 0
lon diff: 0, max is 0

Does the Yahoo geocoding work for non-US addresses?

jf317820jf317820
has anyone checked out the Property CRM Appexchange posting?  If not, I suggest you do if you're interested in implementing the Google Maps S-Control.  Their version works in both Firefox and IE and seems to be bug-free based on my test drive.  Also, look at their search criteria.  I really wish Salesforce could provide a tutorial to walk through that code, I've been trying to get this s-control working for months.