function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
FlashFlash 

Record Types & Custom Objects & Page Layouts

I thought I could create multiple Record Types for my Custom Object and a corresponding Page Layout for each Record Type so that a different UI can be rendered depending on the Record Type.

For example, if I had a Custom Object called "Product" and we sell 3 different kinds of products, each with 10 custom fields unique to themselves, I thought I could add all 30 custom fields to my Product object and then create 3 Record Types, one for each thing we sell and a different Page Layout that just has the custom fields that relate to it.

Well I created all that, and made all the right Page Assignments, but when I click "New", it just goes to the Page Layout associated with the "Master" Record Type. (I figured "New" would now be forced to first ask me what kind of Product I wanted to create and then, depending on what I select (i.e. what Record Type I picked), it would then take me to whatever Page Layout was to be used for that Record Type.)

From searching this discussion board, it looked to me like maybe what I'm trying to do isn't supported with Custom Ojbect yet, but I just wanted to double check. Thanks in advance!

Message Edited by Flash on 02-09-2006 01:20 PM

Ron HessRon Hess
i think you need to edit the profiles to set which record types are vis for each profile , and which are default.
FlashFlash
Yep, I did that, but it's not working. I decided to make sure I wasn't crazy by creating two different "Product" Record Types & Page Layouts, and assigned each Record Type to a different Page Layout. Presto! Everything works like I expected.

So the moral of the story is that using Record Types to control what Page Layouts a user sees does not work with Custom Objects. (I'm not talking about different profiles seeing different Page Layouts; I'm talking about when you click "New", it should ask you what kind of you want to create, and then the next screen is whatever Page Layout was mapped to the Record Type you just selected.)

Can someone please confirm that (a) this is a known issue and (b) if there are any plans to make it work with custom objects the same way it works with standard objects?

Message Edited by Flash on 02-10-2006 04:15 AM

FlashFlash
Bingo! I got it. Record Types *are* working for Custom Objects. Even though you may have mapped them properly to the different profiles, apparently you have to go to that profile and then click on the profile name (not the Edit link but the profile name, mind you) and there you specify which Record Types should be enabled for that profile.

It seems to me that I had already done this when I told it which record types to use for different profiles, but all's well that ends well, and I got it working.
LittleBigDogLittleBigDog
A simple question, I have created custom Object, and want to change the page layout. I am having trouble finding were I can view and edit the custom page layout?