function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Vance BlakelyVance Blakely 

Extending Data Model

I have read in several of the technical documents that it is possible to modify and/or extend the data model within Salesforce.com, however I have not been able to find the technical details of how one does this. I would like to understand what is involved in the following:

1) Removing existing properties of data objects (is this possible?)

2) Adding new properties to data objects

3) Modifying the relationships between data objects (if possible)

Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.
EBezEBez
Hi Vance,
Quick answers below:

1) You cannot remove standard fields from our data model, but you can remove them from page layouts and reports.

2) To add new fields, go to the Setup area and look under Setup -> App Setup -> Customize -> {Data Object Name} -> Fields. Scroll down and click the New button. The rest is self explanatory.

To add new data objects ("custom objects"), go to App Setup -> Build -> Custom Objects.

3) You can't modify the standard relationships between objects, but you can create additional relationships. These appear as custom fields in the field lists for standard & custom objects. Create a new relationship by clicking the New button on the fields list. Choose "Lookup Relationship" or "Master-Detail Relationship" as the field type.
habmanhabman
EBez, Thanks for the info in your previous post however I am having trouble with your suggestion on how to create additional relationships between standard objects.

For example, I want to relate an Asset to a particular Opportunity. When I try to create a look up relationship from the Asset object, the only objects available are 'User' and Custom objects.

Am I missing something?
EBezEBez
Sorry, I should have been more specific.

You have limited options to create custom relationships between standard objects. Currently, the only choice is the User object (or custom objects).

The best workaround at the moment is to create a many-to-many relationship between standard objects through an intermediate "junction object". You create the custom object (e.g., "Opp2Asset") and then from the custom object, create a master-detail or lookup relationship to each of the standard objects you want to relate. This puts a related list on each of the tabs, Asset & Opportunity in your scenario.
habmanhabman
Ok that makes sense. Thanks alot - you've been extremely helpful.