function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
dietcoladietcola 

easiest way to export, change, and re-import data

Hello:

We are in the process of cleaning up duplicate fields, so part of my task is to take the data entered in Field A, move that data to Field B, and then delete Field A entirely.  (Currently, approx. 1500 records are using Field A and approx. 1500 records are using Field B to store the same information--imagine a field called Birthdate and another field called Date of Birth, one field used for one record type and one field used for another.  That's the kind of situation I'm trying to clean up in our org, specifically for Accounts.)

Do folks have a suggestion for the easiest way to go about this?  I was hoping to use the SForce Connector for Excel, but as far as I can tell, it won't let me access any fields related to Person Accounts.

I'd imagine Salesforce has something out-of-the-box for such situations, but I'm new to the data management aspect of SF.  Is Setup > Administration Setup > Data Management > Data Export where I should start?

Any/all help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks in advance.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
forcedotcomforcedotcom

You'll probably have more success using the data loader. Just go to admin setup > data management > data loader to download. You'll need to remember to include your security token at the end of your password when logging in (unless you've requested not to use the tokens).

All Answers

Jeff TalbotJeff Talbot

Broadly, Excel Connector is the easiest tool to accomplish what you described, although it is not as immediately intuitive or as documented as other tools like Data Loader or SF Wizards. I replied on your other thread regarding Person Account support with Excel Connector. Good luck.

forcedotcomforcedotcom

You'll probably have more success using the data loader. Just go to admin setup > data management > data loader to download. You'll need to remember to include your security token at the end of your password when logging in (unless you've requested not to use the tokens).

This was selected as the best answer
dietcoladietcola

Thanks for both replies!  I tried the Excel Connector, and the tip you gave me on the other thread did get the Person Account fields to show up, which was great.

I got a couple of errors when I ran a test query with it that I didn't understand, so I tried the Data Loader to see if would be simpler, and looks like it will serve my purpose very well.

Thanks again to both of you!