function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
WPCMSWPCMS 

Sharing Rules for Cases

We currently have set up our org wide defaults for cases to Public/Read?Write. Everyone should be able to access the cases. These cases were opportunity specific. I am now creating cases that are internal only and do not relate to an opportunity. This new record type is for IT requests for our users. These IT requests I would like just the owner of the record and Admin to be able to view the issue. How can I set up my cases where the regular cases can be viewed by everyone but the IT requests only by the owner? 

I have tried the following:

I called SF basic support and they said you can not set up sharing rules based on record types. 

I tried adding the sharing button and tried to "unshare" users. I found that you can only add and not remove sharing settings.

What else can I do? Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

werewolfwerewolf
Well, you could write an Apex trigger that creates a row in CaseShare according to the record type that's set on the case.
WmWm
If you dont want to write code then there is workaround you may try: Change the org wide default to Private for Cases. Then create public groups relevant to your organisations. Then you can create sharing rules between all the users accordingly. Hope it works for you!
MissaJMissaJ
Did you figure this out.  I have a private case model and need to share the ticket with the creator of the ticket (a contact with an associated user record).  I have been told that sharing rules via apex triggers is not for the Cases object.  If anyone knows if this can be done and how or can point me to the documentation, I would appreciate the knowledge.  We can write the trigger if it's possible to do apex trigger sharing rules on the case object.
werewolfwerewolf

Missa,

One way to share cases without code is by using the built-in Case Teams functionality.  Also, whoever told you that about building shares with Apex triggers is misinformed -- you can make shares on Case with Apex just as you can on any other object.

WPCMSWPCMS
I have not tried to test this out as I do not know Apex coding. I will have to try this out another time.