function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
EIE50EIE50 

user permissions on ideas in a customer portal

Hi,

Here is the situation. We have like 5k users with ideas only portal license, and the postings could be done only by the admin. The users should only be able to vote and comment on the existing ideas posted by admin. I wonder how it can be achived cos 'create' permission has to be enabled for commenting and if create permission is enabled the users can post their ideas too which i dont want it to happen. Any suggestions/ solutions are appreciated.

Thanks

nori_ideasnori_ideas

Hi there,

gooood question. Its not an out of the box feature, but you can do a number of things.

1. do some CSS hacking in the header of the portal to make the 'post an idea button' invisible. This will make it challenging for people to post a new idea.

2. create a validation rule that checks to make sure portal users can't create a new question. There are a number of ways to do this, but a few might be to check to see if the user's name is the designated admin's name, and otherwise pop up an error message saying "sorry posting new ideas is allowed only for admin users"

EIE50EIE50

Thanks and that was a perfect answer. i will not go by css hacking instead i will use validation rule :smileywink: . I would like to do the validation with the profile and if some one who is not an admin posts a message, they would get an error message. But wait, what formula do i need to use to accomplish this :smileyhappy: .

Thanks

EIE50EIE50

Got it by using NOT. But post idea is still visible and do you say it can only be hidden using css.

Thanks

nori_ideasnori_ideas

:) Something like this will probably work. The Validation rule builder will guide you through it pretty well

NOT( CONTAINS( $Profile.Name, 'admin'))

Error description: Sorry only admins can submit new ideas!

The rule above will prevent a save if the profile name of the creator/editor doesn't contain the word admin in it.

More info on validation rules if you want to get even fancier.

http://www.salesforce.com/community/assets/docs/salesforce_useful_validation_formulas.pdf

EIE50EIE50

Hi,

Do you have any idea how to do the css part and integrate it to the portal pages? How am i supposed to do that? A small example would be good.

Thanks 

EIE50EIE50

Hi,

I am having an issue after i setup a validation rule yesterday to not allow users to post an idea except admins. And my rule is something like this : NOT( CreatedBy.Profile.Name = 'System Administrator') . Now its not allowing users to post even a comment, except from voting. Any idea?

Thanks

nori_ideasnori_ideas

I'm not sure if '=' will work.

I'd use EQUALS(val1, val2)

also, I'd go for a 'contains' instead of 'equals' just in case, since it'll be looser. (see my example above)

EIE50EIE50

Nori,

This is my new validation rule NOT( CONTAINS( $Profile.Name, 'admin') ) , even then i am having the same problem. Others are not able to comment on idea but they are able to promote or demote an idea. Any clue?

Thanks