function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
SFCowboySFCowboy 

Flow wont lookup from Data Source

I am having problems with Force.com Flow that I am hoping someone may be able to help with.  I am trying to use Insert Data Lookup but when I try to add the component to the Flow it says it please Select a Data Source.  However the Data Source is already defined.  How can I let it know which data source it should be using?

Thanks,

Sean

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Chris JohnChris John

Can you confirm which version of the designer you are using? (I am assuming a v7.x).

If so, does a test connection work from Options > Settings > Salesforce.com settings?

Is the data source definintely defined? (check in the Data source elements section of the element explorer). Is it possible you created a Data Target instead? Data targets only work with data updates, and data sources only work with data lookups.

What happens if you try to create a new Data Source?

When creating a data lookup, it should be straightforward to select from the existing Data source elements using the dropdown under 'Where is the data you want to look up', on the 'General' tab of the Data Lookup definition.

All Answers

Chris JohnChris John

Can you confirm which version of the designer you are using? (I am assuming a v7.x).

If so, does a test connection work from Options > Settings > Salesforce.com settings?

Is the data source definintely defined? (check in the Data source elements section of the element explorer). Is it possible you created a Data Target instead? Data targets only work with data updates, and data sources only work with data lookups.

What happens if you try to create a new Data Source?

When creating a data lookup, it should be straightforward to select from the existing Data source elements using the dropdown under 'Where is the data you want to look up', on the 'General' tab of the Data Lookup definition.

This was selected as the best answer
SFCowboySFCowboy

I am using Flow v7.0.5.  I've actually done some additional troubleshooting and it only seems to be a problem on my new Laptop.  It works properly when I downloaded Flow designer on an old computer.  I don't know if anyone is aware of any compatibility issues with the program but I am going to submit a Case today.

Thanks,

Sean

Chris JohnChris John

Interesting. Do you see the same issue on your new laptop with every Flow you create, or just this particular one?

I am not aware of compatibility issues, though it is recommended to install the designer into seperate directories (if you have an older version installed already).

Also note that a beta version of the new cloud-based Flow Designer will be available with the Winter '12 release.