function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
RedSalesRedSales 

Search Within Email Templates Using Web UI

Hello,

I wish to search for a pharse within email templates on our environment.  In using the Force.Com IDE, I am trying to retrieve the email templates witin my project. I have deselected all other components/attributes within my project and wish to retrieve email templates alone.  However my IDE crashes out with jvm heap size errors after taking quite a while to try and retrieve contents.  

As an alternative I wish to search using the web ui but the search functionality does not seem to work as I require. If I choose "templates" or "HTML messages" within the search options, enter my search term and search it returns no matche. Even though I know the term exists.

Does anyone know if I am using the search functionality incorrectly when searching for email templates? Or have any further suggestions on how I can perform this task?

Thanks! 

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
jhurstjhurst

RedSales,

Salesforce.com does not provide a way to search through Email Templates through the UI.  If you are seeing these objects in the search options, then it is likely that you have custom objects with those names, and you are searching those records.

You have a couple of options to do what you are trying to:

1. Use the IDE (as you have tried).  If you are hitting a Java Heap error, you will have to increase your memory in your jvm.  You can do this by following the instructions at http://wiki.developerforce.com/index.php/Force.com_IDE_FAQ#How_do_I_solve_out_of_memory_issues.3F.  This will allow you to bring the templates into the IDE.

2. You can use the API to pull the templates.  For instance, you can use the Data Loader and run the query:

select id, body from emailtemplate

This will return a csv file with the ID of your template and the entire body.  You can then search through the body to find the term you are looking for.

Hope this helps.

Jay

All Answers

jhurstjhurst

RedSales,

Salesforce.com does not provide a way to search through Email Templates through the UI.  If you are seeing these objects in the search options, then it is likely that you have custom objects with those names, and you are searching those records.

You have a couple of options to do what you are trying to:

1. Use the IDE (as you have tried).  If you are hitting a Java Heap error, you will have to increase your memory in your jvm.  You can do this by following the instructions at http://wiki.developerforce.com/index.php/Force.com_IDE_FAQ#How_do_I_solve_out_of_memory_issues.3F.  This will allow you to bring the templates into the IDE.

2. You can use the API to pull the templates.  For instance, you can use the Data Loader and run the query:

select id, body from emailtemplate

This will return a csv file with the ID of your template and the entire body.  You can then search through the body to find the term you are looking for.

Hope this helps.

Jay

This was selected as the best answer
Daniel SheinfilDaniel Sheinfil
It's about time that Salesforce catalouges all instances of all objects in any given Org and allows for a global search via UI.

It is beyond frustrating to see SF suggest workarounds for what should be a simple straightforward system capability.

If I created anything in SF, I should be able to search for it and find it.

The results MUST include hyperlinks to navigate straightaway to the results found as well.