function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
denver_sf_devdenver_sf_dev 

Two-Step Approval Process Routing to Wrong Manager

I've searched for this on the boards and found some previous posts that describe almost the same exact problem but unfortunately they didn't have replies or solutions to them.

We have a two-step approval process set up on an Opportunity record.  The first step routes to a specific user.  The second step routes to Manager.  The problem happens when the first step approver approves the record the second step routes the approval step to their User Manager when it should go to the User Manager for the Opportunity Record Owner who originally started the approval process. 

Next Automated Approver Determined By is set to Manager.  Use Approver Field of Opportunity Owner is checked.

Is this  a known bug?  Has anyone found a workaround?

LuvaraLuvara

Did you ever have any luck with this?

markdalius_devmarkdalius_dev

I'm having the exact same problem. It doesn't seem to matter whether or not you check "Use Approver Field of Record Owner", it always goes to the Manager of the first approver, *not* the Manager of the record owner. Is there some kind of workaround for this? I wonder if you could somehow fire off a second approval process once the first completes, and get the desired functionality that way?

Michael GeorgeMichael George

Has anyone found a work-around yet?
Angel ReyAngel Rey
Hello, 
We have the same problem with a 4 step approval process were manager approval is not the first one step.
The approval doesn't route to owner's manager, instead routes to last approver manager.
Any idea?
Mark HettigMark Hettig
Has there been any update on this? I am struggling to get the approval process to route to the correct manager. It always routes to the most recent approver's manager.
Andrea SchroederAndrea Schroeder
Four years in since the initial post. I tried to implement our first approval process and having the same issue. No matter what, it always routes to the first approver's manager instead of the record owner's manager. 
zrfast34zrfast34
Here is a nice workaround:
  1. On the Object that has an Approval Process, create a hidden field called "Owner Manager" or whatever you want to name it.
  2. Using Process Builder or Apex, create a workflow that updates this field with the Owner Manager when the Opportunity is created.User-added image
  3. When creating the Approval Steps, instead of using the "Manager" field on the User, use this field. This is done by selecting "Related User" and choosing the field you created above.
  4. You can now use the Owner's Manager anywhere in the Approval process.
Steffan HoekeSteffan Hoeke
According to Knowledge Article Number 000239425 (https://help.salesforce.com/mysuccesshub?id=solutionFinder&topic=Setup_and_Security&category=Workflow_Automation&question=Use%20Approver%20Field%20of%20Opportunity%20Owner) it's by design :(

Use Approver Field of Object Owner
Available only when Field is selected.
If selected, the first executed approval step sets the approver to the value of Field on the record owner’s user record—instead of the submitter’s user record.
All remaining steps use Field in the user record of the preceding step’s approver.
Sda SmnSda Smn
I have an issue similar to this one.
I implemented this : Next Automated Approver Determined By is set to Manager. And the "Automatically assign using the user field selected earlier. (Manager) " is selected.
If I have the Approver_1 approve the first step the second one should goes to the Manager of the Approver_1 (Called Approver_2). Then instead of the Approver_2 approve, he will assign it to Approver_3, then the Approver_3 approve, the next step goes to the Manager of Approver_2 instead of the Manager of the Approver_3 (the current user who approved the previous step).
Any solution in the configuration? Or I should use the workaround? Thanks,
Sda SmnSda Smn
I have an issue similar to this one.
I implemented this : Next Automated Approver Determined By is set to Manager. And the "Automatically assign using the user field selected earlier. (Manager) " is selected.
If I have the Approver_1 approve the first step the second one should goes to the Manager of the Approver_1 (Called Approver_2). Then instead of the Approver_2 approve, he will assign it to Approver_3, then the Approver_3 approve, the next step goes to the Manager of Approver_2 instead of the Manager of the Approver_3 (the current user who approved the previous step).
Any solution in the configuration? Or I should use the workaround? Thanks,