function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
chessbasechessbase 

Button next Edit, delete clone ...

Hi,
I am working on integrating an application to salesforce. In the opportunity I would like to add a button next to Edit, Delete, and Clone ... upper buttons. Is this possible? I know I can have a custom link.

ClaiborneClaiborne

From what I know, it is NOT possible. Custom Links are it.

One possible kludgey work around is to create a formula field that contains an html link.

But still no buttons.

What I ended up doing is cloning the salesforce.com ui in my own application and then putting buttons I wanted where I wanted. The application is launched as a custom tab web link.

chessbasechessbase

Thanks David, but that seems to be too much work. But its an idea. A question, how do you populate your form? Is it when the user clicks on the tab, the link takes him to your page on your server and there you query and fill up the values and then display?

ClaiborneClaiborne

You are right. It starts to get difficult.

If you do want to pursue this, you should use the "retrieve" command in the api. This returns all the data for a specified object id. This is the way sfdc works, as most of it's url's are https://na1.salesforce.com/objectid. When this url is sent, the sfdc web server retrieves all the data for the object, determines what type of object it is, and then displays the information on the web page that matches the object type.

Maybe someday, the sfdc api will allow you to override the ui for specific types of objects.

TomaszOTomaszO
Hi,
You can create an appealing button using combination of HYPERLINK and IMAGE function.
Assign it to a custom field and you can place it whenever Page Layout Editor allows it.
- Start with creation of Custom Field, type Text.
- Formula is HYPERLINK(url, friendly_name)
- replace "friendly_name" with IMAGE(image_url, alternate_text, height, width)

What's nice about it
"url" for HYPERLINK can be pointing to scontrol or custom code.
"image_url" can point to image item stored in your Documents tab
height and width are optional.

If you want I can email you screenshot of our solution.
Tomasz