function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
QMEQME 

Version Control for Code

Hi,

whenever someone checks in files, I cannot see the delta(diff), version number/hostory of the files checked in.

I have tried this with the Eclipse IDE as well as the standard SalesForce login.

How does one see basic tracking from the version control?

Also, how does one enforce writing messages on Commits? (So that on viewing the version control history for that file all check in descriptions can be viewed through time).

Cory CowgillCory Cowgill

Salesforce does not do native versioning of source.

To do team development, you need to use your own repository like Subversion.

The Developer Guide (http://wiki.developerforce.com/index.php/Force_Platform_Developer_Guide) Chapter 8 explains how to manage team development using Force.com IDE, Subclipse Plugin, and a Subversion Repository.

QMEQME

...so then a small company anyway needs dedicated Subversion (or some form of traditional version control).

What about integrating with online hosted solutions like "github" or "Google Code"; ..I don't see solutions for that on the doc.

For medium or small companies with small teams that may be more apt as it would not require dedicated servers infra on the companies end.

thanks, your reply was helpful

Cory CowgillCory Cowgill

The developer guide uses Subversion and Subclipse, as those are widely used in the industry and there are well known Eclipse Plug-Ins (Subclipse) which works well.

But you are by no means limited to that.

You can use Google Code,github, PVCS, or really any repository you want. I'd just recommend that the repository you choose has a well known, up to date Eclipse plugin. It just makes your life much, much, much easier as most Force.com Developers use Eclipse IDE.

SuperfellSuperfell

And google code uses SVN.