function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
SFDCNewbSFDCNewb 

DE - How Does One Know if Apps are Working?

I am new to salesforce.com and am on a self -pace learning with various materials available.  This will be a career change for me but have worked with salesforce.com as a end user. 

I am going to build the Recruiting App that is in the Force.com Platform Fundamentals : An Introduction to Custom Application Development in the Cloud.  Since this will be built on the Developers Edition, I know its not "live".  So how do I know if I built it incorrectly or have some errors?  This goes for any future apps that I hope to build on DE.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Jon Mountjoy_Jon Mountjoy_

Well, it is "live" - just not live on a "production" environment.

So I think what you're asking is:

- What's the difference between a developer environment and a production environment.

One thing you'll learn about as you go through your material is all these different environments.  In fact, there's a sandbox environment too.  Some accounts have them (the developer edition you have, do not - but you can also sign up for a Force.com Free Edition which does).  Your sandbox can effectively be a "mirror" of your production - you can even ensure it has the same data ("a full copy sandbox") - and be pretty confident that if it works there, it will work on production.

Hope that helps - you can learn a little more here.

All Answers

SFDCNewbSFDCNewb

Sorry, I meant that I new to anything that is more than end user of salesforce.com.

Jon Mountjoy_Jon Mountjoy_

Well, it is "live" - just not live on a "production" environment.

So I think what you're asking is:

- What's the difference between a developer environment and a production environment.

One thing you'll learn about as you go through your material is all these different environments.  In fact, there's a sandbox environment too.  Some accounts have them (the developer edition you have, do not - but you can also sign up for a Force.com Free Edition which does).  Your sandbox can effectively be a "mirror" of your production - you can even ensure it has the same data ("a full copy sandbox") - and be pretty confident that if it works there, it will work on production.

Hope that helps - you can learn a little more here.

This was selected as the best answer
SFDCNewbSFDCNewb

Thanks for clearing that up, Jon Mountjoy_.