function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Matt1000Matt1000 

Compile Error: Variable does not exist: queryResult at line 8 column 9

I tried to post this earlier, but I cannot locate the post. (Sorry if this is a duplicate.)

I am trying to compile an example from the following apex code documentation:

http://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/apexcode/index_Left.htm#CSHID=apex_dynamic_soql.htm|StartTopic=Content%2Fapex_dynamic_soql.htm|SkinName=webhelp

I keep receiving the above compile error when trying to create the Apex class shown below (and on the web page path above).

CODE SAMPLE:

public class SOQLController { 
    public String name { 
        get { return name;} 
        set { name = value;} 
    } 
    public PageReference query() { 
        String queryName = '%' + name + '%';
        queryResult = [SELECT Id FROM Contact WHERE 
           (IsDeleted = false and Name like :queryName)];
        return null; 
    } 

Thanks, Matt

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Pradeep_NavatarPradeep_Navatar

queryResult = [SELECT Id FROM Contact WHERE (IsDeleted = false and Name like :queryName)];

From the above code you are trying to fetch the Contact records so first you need to create a List/Object instance of that type of Object means here is the Contact.

List<Contact> con = [SELECT Id FROM Contact WHERE (IsDeleted = false and Name like :queryName)];

OR simple contact instance if you put limit 1.

Contact con = [SELECT Id FROM Contact WHERE (IsDeleted = false and Name like :queryName) limit 1];

All Answers

Pradeep_NavatarPradeep_Navatar

queryResult = [SELECT Id FROM Contact WHERE (IsDeleted = false and Name like :queryName)];

From the above code you are trying to fetch the Contact records so first you need to create a List/Object instance of that type of Object means here is the Contact.

List<Contact> con = [SELECT Id FROM Contact WHERE (IsDeleted = false and Name like :queryName)];

OR simple contact instance if you put limit 1.

Contact con = [SELECT Id FROM Contact WHERE (IsDeleted = false and Name like :queryName) limit 1];

This was selected as the best answer
Matt1000Matt1000

Yes. That did the trick. Thank you!

I guess the examples showed Java, but I need to convert this to Apex, which is new to me.

Thanks a lot!