function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
KT@CiscoKT@Cisco 

How to include Case Number in all email responses from within SFDC UI

I was looking for a way to include the Case Number information in all the outbound email replies going from Salesforce.com UI to the customer.

Underlying requirement: When an agent responds to a customer from the SFDC UI with an incorrect address in the To field, the bounced message only contains a refId and this in turn, creates a new case with no references to the original case.

The agent receives this bounced message and only sees the refId in the attached original message but does not get the originating case ID from where the agent had sent the email to the incorrect address.

Solution: If we include the Case Number information in all email responses from SFDC, the bounced message will contain the original email as attachment (and the original email will contain this Case Number, thus allowing easy identification of the original case from where this email was sent)

I have looked at Field Update, workflow rules, Email templates etc and found that the only workaround is to create a new Email template which has all the info. I need and then, have the agent manually select this email template each time the agent sends a response. Clearly, this is not a viable solution as making the agent select a specific template each time is inefficient.

Any suggestions on how to get this implemented without manual effort by the agent?

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
werewolfwerewolf

The email template is the correct way to do it.  You can default-select an email template on your Send An Email button like this.