function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
sarthak05sarthak05 

Problem with migration to different orgs

hi all,

We have a enterprise level aggrement and have multiple orgs . One org we use for development and others for demo purpose. While migrating via the ant script based migartion tool of force.com we can transfer objects,em-mail templates etc but various settings and customizations are always left behind. And it is becoming a real pain.

For an example the tab setting from a profile are never transferred. Also the checked value of an object's  "make it available for customer portal" also dosent get transferred.

Please remember the above are just examples and much much more many such settings are not transferred. Are we doing anything wrong? or is it a limitation ? Please let me know.

Also in many cases we need to transfer just the minute changes we do in our development org to the other orgs. But coding them in ant script is even more time consuming than manually transferring the changes. Is there any way where I can see the "diff" of the Dev org and demo org and transfer accordingly(Something similar to what a diff utility does on any os among two similar files).

Also please let me know if this can be achieved by any external tools or scripts.

Thanking you

Regards

Sarthak

shillyershillyer

Take a look at the Developement Lifecycle Guide - section Migrating Changes between Environments. This guide outlines migration best practices and will help you understand what can be migrated via the metadata API and what must be migrated manually.

Hope that helps,

Sati