function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
bc523bc523 

Importing Opportunties

I'm new to SF. I'm trying to import some basic info to do a demo to our sales team. I have some opportunties I would like to import. When I use the data loader, it  says "ID VALUE OF INCORRECT TYPE." I am trying to link these opportunties to the accts that I have uploaded. Any suggestions on how to do this? Thanks!

CoryCowgillCoryCowgill

Yes, make sure that the field values you are using for the lookup field are correct.

When you export/import objects around different environments that have parent/child relationships you should use External ID fields. Place an External ID field on your Parent object (In this case, your Account). When you import your child objects (In this case, Opptys) make sure that to use the External ID field to match on the lookup.

I have had your exact problem before, and it was because the ID value isn't valid since its from a different environment.

Utilizing External ID's and Data Loader Upsert functionality should resolve your problem and allow you to upload the Parent Records, then the Child Records without this issue.

bc523bc523

I sort of understand what you are saying. Sounds like I need something linking the import with the existing info in SFDC.

I used the dataloader to do an extract of all my accts (only 35). I extracted everything. I then did a VLOOKUP of the opportunity fields I wanted to import. I went back into the dataloader and tried "Update" and matched the "ID" fields thinking that would be my link. It didn't work. The error message I get says that the SFDC ID isn't a valid reference.

Any additional help would be greatly appreciated.