function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
JAW99JAW99 

Faster way to add lots of fields to a S or Custom Object

Help this admin - wanna be developer out. Is there a faster way for creating custom fields that slogging through the multi step process? Especially when the layout and profile security settings will be the same exact clicks dozens of times?

I bet there's a tool that I'm just unaware of.

Message Edited by JAW99 on 05-22-2009 11:41 AM
Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
JamesZJamesZ

I am very new at this and have been using the Eclipse Platform to mass create fields on a custom object. Once the identical fields are created I can go back through and on one screen change the fullName, label, and inlineHelpText. I first created a field using the 3-step process within salesforce with all of the field properties that the identical fields would have.

I used the Tutorial and selected the Force.com IDE. http://www.developerforce.com/flash_workbook/index.html

The tutorial will assist you with installing the Exclipse Platform and modifying objects. I hope this helps, I'm just getting started myself and it's very likely there is a quicker way.

All Answers

JamesZJamesZ

I am very new at this and have been using the Eclipse Platform to mass create fields on a custom object. Once the identical fields are created I can go back through and on one screen change the fullName, label, and inlineHelpText. I first created a field using the 3-step process within salesforce with all of the field properties that the identical fields would have.

I used the Tutorial and selected the Force.com IDE. http://www.developerforce.com/flash_workbook/index.html

The tutorial will assist you with installing the Exclipse Platform and modifying objects. I hope this helps, I'm just getting started myself and it's very likely there is a quicker way.

This was selected as the best answer
JAW99JAW99
Many thanks! I have done some stuff with Eclipse but am still inexperienced. Will check this out!
JAW99JAW99
Thanks again, just getting a handle on this and it's great so far.
JAW99JAW99
But I'm also at a loss. WHy can I pull custom objects into Eclipse but I don't see Standard Objects?
JamesZJamesZ

To add standard objects,

1. In the Package Explorer, right-click your project and choose Properties.
  2. In the navigation tree, expand the Force.com node and click Project Content.
  3. Click Add/Remove to open the Choose Metadata Components dialog.
  4. About half way down is a checkbox for objects - custom and objects - standard.

This should add all of the objects that you want.

JAW99JAW99
Thanks again.
JAW99JAW99
Hmm. I don;t have that under the force node. I just have Apex Code under the Force.com expanded.
JAW99JAW99

Made progress using:

http://community.salesforce.com/sforce/board/message?board.id=apex&message.id=3806