function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Edwin KEdwin K 

Remove sidebar or Recent Item box in Customer Portal all tabs

Hi,

I want to ask are there configurations to remove or hide the sidebar on all tabs in Customer Portal? What I can do is to remove sidebar in Home tab but other tabs still show the sidebar.. Or if not possible, I want to remove or hide like Recent Items box.. Any suggestions would be great..

Thanks..

Ankit AroraAnkit Arora

Go To Setup > Administration Setup > Manage User > Profiles > "Customer Portal Profile" > Uncheck "Show Custom Sidebar On All Pages" under "General User Permissions" section > Save

Thanks

Ankit Arora

Blog | Facebook | Blog Page

Edwin KEdwin K

Hi,

I have done the instructions you gave me but no luck.. On my custom object tabs, the recent items, create new, and search box are still visible for portal user.. Or are there any settings need to be done, maybe I missed some settings..

More helps would be great... Thanks....

Ankit AroraAnkit Arora

After this what you can do is create a home page component which will not have any component like search, recent items etc and assign it to Customer portal Profile.

Setup > App Setup > Home > Home Page Layout

Thanks

Ankit Arora

Blog | Facebook | Blog Page

Joe GaskaJoe Gaska

Did anyone ever resolve this in the portal?  You simply cannot remove the sidebar in the portal and has to be a bug.  If you add a new home page layout and remove all items and associate it with the portal users it still appears in the object profile pages.  Verified that the checkbox is unchecked on the profile to display on all pages, etc.  My gutt says this is a bug, would love to know if someone was successful.  I do not want to write custom VF pages for all default profile pages just to remove sidebar.

Joe GaskaJoe Gaska

Ok, so I was just successful at figuring out how you have to do this.  Basically, no matter what everyone says you cannot force Salesforce.com to remove the sidebar from all pages none of the configurations will remove it from everywhere.  So, the nly way to do it is override the style and hide the cell.  I created a custom header HTML file and embedded CSS in it and set the width to 0 and display:none and poof.  Gone from all pages.  Email me if you have questions.

JGaska@Ioniasolutions.com

BharathwajBharathwaj

Hi Joe,

I tried to implement your solution, but it was not working as expected, instead it removed the existing Logo and the Logout link.

I added a simple html page with a CSS in it.

<html>

<head>

<style>

{width=0%;display:none;}

</style>

</head>

</html>

My actual requirement is to remove the serach dropdown from all the tab(Account,Contact,etc..) from partner portal layout. I tried to suppress the search feature of Account and Contact using this html page with

option[title="Accounts"],option[title="Contacts"] {display:none;}

, it worked in Mozilla but not in IE browser.

Any help with respect to this will be helpful.

Thanks,

Bharath

Joe GaskaJoe Gaska

Bharath;

If you are having issues with this let me know I can email you you just need to add them back into the header.  We removed them because we put them somewhere else.  You just need to put the header back.  JGaska@IoniaSolutions.com let me know if you have any questions.

vanessenvanessen

thanks for the tip.For my case, i should do the opposite, in fact, i didn't want the recent item o appear on ll pages, when i tick the checkbox, the recent item do not appear.

Thanks again,

Vanessen

RumRunnerRumRunner

I think the verbiage is wrong in the profile screen or their is a bug.  I wanted to remove the Search and Recent Items.  I checked the Box and they disappeared, even though it says it will SHOW them on all pages. 

bhaumik_mehta1bhaumik_mehta1

Hi,

You can follow the below mentioned steps and check if its useful :

Setup --> Customize --> User Interface. and then you get the screen in which you can uncheck the option "Show Custom Sidebar Components on All Pages" in the Side Bar section and then check that its working in the customer portal or not.

Hope this will work.

Thanks,

Bhaumik Mehta.

Shaun ZendnerShaun Zendner
Hi,

Here are two different ways to hide/remove recent items.

If you have written your own visualforce pages you can do this:

<apex:page sidebar="false">

If you are using standard page layouts in your community you can also add this to your CSS and it will hide the recent items 

#sidebarCell, #sidebarDiv  {
  display: none;
}

Hope this helps.
Scott Meridew 12Scott Meridew 12
Recent Items can be removed by navigating to Setup ... Customize ... Home ... Home Page Layouts ...

Edit the default home page layout, and uncheck the "Recent Items" from the "select narrow components to show" section. Save

If you want some users to have this, and others to not, create a new home page layout with this setting, and assign it to specific users/profiles.
Andy GoodwinAndy Goodwin
Hi Shaun,

Please can you explain where I can add the following to my CSS;

#sidebarCell, #sidebarDiv  {
}

It seems to work if I add it to the style editor in my browser but I can't find where to add to the CSS for it to apply to my community.

Cheers
Andy
Andy GoodwinAndy Goodwin
I sucessfully managed this using a mixture of Joe's suggestion and Shaun's.

I added a custom html footer (easier to format than a new header), with the css style in the html head section as per below;

<html>
<head>
<style>
#sidebarCell, #sidebarDiv  {
}
</style>
</head>
<body>
</body>
</html>

I used the body section to add some basic copyright text instead of the standard salesforce stuff.

Cheers,
Andy
Shaun ZendnerShaun Zendner
Great Andy I am glad you figured it out. That is exactly how you should do it. If you have any other questions let me know. We had to completely rewrite the whole community into apex pages. 
Lusanda Dyonase 20Lusanda Dyonase 20
Oh WOW guys, I just tried this myself as I was having the same issue. It works.

Thank you Andy and the rest of the guys :) You all make Salesforce fun :)
Felicia Levine AbramsonFelicia Levine Abramson
This solution is super easy! My only follow up, is there a way to hide JUST the recent items? With the

<html>
<head>
<style>
#sidebarCell, #sidebarDiv  {
}
</style>
</head>
<body>
</body>
</html>

solution, it completely hides the side bar, but I would want some of that to be available to the users.

Asish Sasi 6Asish Sasi 6
Hi,

Just came across a similar requirement. Even though this post is old, I thought it might help someone. So posting here.
 wanted to hide "Create New", "Recent Items" on left panel from community portal. Followed below steps.

01) Created a new home page (Setup >> Home Page Layouts). 
02) Removed all options like Create New, Recent Items etc..
03) Assigned this new home page layout to Community profile.
04) Open User Interface settings (Setup >> User Interface)
05) Checked the option "Show Custom Sidebar Components on All Pages".

Bingo! Create New and Recent Items are removed for customer portal.

Thanks,
ashi....