function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Jessica LandismanJessica Landisman 

1-way sharing relationships without using hierarchy

I want to create 1-way sharing relationships in Salesforce without using the hierarchy methodology. Here is an example.

I want sales managers in any given territory to have read-only rights for accounts owned by salespeople in all territories that are not his territory. 

If Julia, is the manager in the US territory, I want her to have view-only rights for accounts in the other territories and read/write rights for the accounts in the US territory.

Since I already have a hierarchy based on territory, I was under the impression that I could not create additional hierarchical structure(s) for sharing. Is that a correct assumption?

Additionally, there are other roles in our SF configuration that I do not want to be able to see the sales people's accounts at all, so I cannot simply set the sharing on accounts to "public".

Based on that information, it seems like I need to set up 1-way sharing between the salespeople of a specific territory and the sales managers of other territories. The issue is that sharing relationships bring about 2-way sharing. Also, we have too many employees to set up sharing rights manually for every account for every salesperson.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks,