function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
hbadamihbadami 

Customize data entry for an activity

Dear all

I am a newbie trying to customize the behaviour of salesforce when a user clicks 'Log a call' . I have a few requirements for this page:

1. This page will only be called from a contact detail page.
2. It should show a history of all the activities with this contact previously. Ideally it should show the last few calls/events with this contact.
3. It should present an interface to the user to add a new activity. The fields populated will be Last Contacted By, Nature of Contact (Call, Meeting), Related To (product, campaign or both), comments, date of contact and isfollowup required and follow up date.
4. It should be able to relate an event to multiple objects ie a Product and a contact and a campaign and a contact.

Any ideas how can I customize the current page to do the required. If creating a visualforce page is the way to go how should I proceed? Specifically how should I relate an activity to multiple objects (4).

Many Thanks

Hassnain.

mac_046mac_046

Create a Custom Link or Button on Contact Detail page. Set them to Open the VF page when user click's on them.

Create a VF page(2 sections 1 for creating activity UI and another for displaying list of activities)

Create a Custom Controller for the VF page.

I think you cannot relate an actiivity to multiple objects

hbadamihbadami

Thanks for the answer. 

Actually I am trying to customize the layout of salesforce such that it focuses more on the products and campaigns. The interface should look like

Product1   Product2  Product3  Campaigns ................. (these are all tabs)

Then under each Product tab I want to display a list of all related activities, calls, meetings etc. Under campaigns tab, I want to list all the campaigns and each campaign can be related to any or all of the Products. So for example our marketing team can create a campaign say Marketing trip to Asia, where they will try and market all 3 products. They want to log in calls and activities related to the travel both to this campaign and to the product . All the other calls and tasks (not related to travel) will be logged to the related product. 

Now, the question is if I am unable to relate a task/call to multiple objects, how can I show an activity that has been associated to a campaign and also to a product. For example if Mr. X is meeting Mr. Y on the trip to Asia to sell Product 1, then this event information should be shown under both Product 1 tab and under Travel to Asia. How should I do this?