function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Jeff TalbotJeff Talbot 

Workflow action that will submit a dynamic URL?

Our email vendor can accept record submissions with a URL. If I open a web browser and enter this URL, our email vendor accepts the data and does what it's supposed to do (send an email using the merge field data that is included in the URL parameters).

http://mv.treehousei.com/Services/RemoteForm.ashx?_mvSurveyId=surveyid&ques_27197=Jeff&ques_27198=Talbot&ques_27200=jeff@maisonry.com&ques_27199=7074956003&ques_29628=12345

I want to setup a SF workflow that will trigger this URL to be sumitted. Is this typically done with outbound messaging?

Note that I need to populate the URL parameters using data from the Salesforce record (first name, last name, email, phone, custom fields, etc.). It would be really easy to create the URL using a Salesforce email template and merge fields, but an Email Alert workfow action can't be submitted to a URL. There doesn't seem to be any way to dynamically build the URL for Outbound Messages - the only option seems to be a static endpoint URL.

Can anyone help get me moving in the right direction on this requirement? Thanks!

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Jeff TalbotJeff Talbot

I ran across a tool called Email2DB. This tool provides a solution that will meet my needs. It's $95/month, but it will keep ongoing maintenance and development really simple.

I will setup a Workflow and Email Alert in Salesforce. I'll build the appropriate URL using merge fields in the email template. I'll send the Email to my custom Email2DB email address. Email2DB will receive the email, extract the URL from the message body, and submit the URL.

Done. No code required. Hooray!