function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Steve HuseSteve Huse 

Getting an Apex trigger into Professional Edition?

Hi all,

I've been going round in circles with this for a while now, and could really use a definitive answer if anyone can help.

We use Professional Edition with Workflow and API 'bolted on'.

As a service company we send our customers quotes for installations, repairs, maintenance plans etc.  Each quote we send is logged as an opportunity againt the relevant account.

In our company a case is a job.  Currently when an opportunity is won, we change the opportunity status to 'closed won' and then have to manually open a case for the job that the customer has just accepted.
From time to time staff here update the opp status to 'closed won', but then forget to open a case for the job.  We end up accepting the customer's order, but then not creating a job to fulfil it.

I'd therefore like a case to be automatically created when an opp status is changed to 'closed won'.

It seems that this can be achieved with an Apex trigger, but neither our SF Account Executive or Tech Support can tell me whether this is possible with Professional Edition with Workflow and API 'bolted on'.  

Can anyone clarify how we get an Apex trigger into our Org?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

kennedymankennedyman

I can't find the documentation for it right now, but I think Apex code is only available in Enterprise edition and above.

lemuellemuel

i found this recently while looking for the same information.

Designing an Application for Group and Professional Edition

As a general rule, one cannot run Apex in a PE or GE. However, there is one exception to this rule. Apex that you develop in DE can run in GE and PE, if the following conditions are met:

1. Apex is installed into the GE and PE org via a managed package.
  2. Apex does not expose classes as a Web service - these can be installed, but not invoked (more below).
  3. Apex is not dependent on features and functionality that exist only in EE or UE (e.g., record types and/or Campaigns) unless it's dynamic Apex.
  4. Your app and Apex have passed the Security Review and been "Apex Authorized."

Please note this benefit is only available to eligible partners.