function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
solarcookersolarcooker 

Name field automatically filled out after search with lookup button

Hello everybody,

I have a little problem here for which I'm not able to find a solution. We are an NGO in Madagascar an produce different types of solar cookers and charcoal/wood saving cookers. Thus, for each type I created a record in the Product object. I then created a custom object "Cooker" which is linked with a lookup-field to the Product object. Each cooker has therefore a type (link to Product object) and a Name, which is a unique number (we sell the cookers and have to register the clients and the number of the cookers).

Everything is working fine so far, there is just one annoying point: When someone searches for a cooker type with the lookup button, not only the Type field is filled out, but surprisingly (to me anyway) the Name field of the cooker (so, both fields are populated with the name of the Product). Every time, that field has to be cleared before entering the cooker number. It doesn't happen when the Type field is filled out manually, but only when the search button for the lookup is used.

Is it possible to somehow disable that, or did I make a mistake when creating my custom object/field?

Thank you very much for your help.

Best Answer chosen by solarcooker
champvimalchampvimal

Ok, if that is the case then ofcourse your "Name" field will be Unique identifier and should be of datatype "Text".

Regarding the issue you have, unless someone comes up with better solution, I would suggest you train users to first input Name field with the Cooker Number and then choose the Type of Product.

Thanks,

Vimal

All Answers

champvimalchampvimal

Is the Unique Name field of datatype : Text or Auto Number?

Also, when I try to do first input the Name field and then choose the Type lookup, I did not have Name field changed to the one mentioned in Type field. However, if I first search and choose the Type field, I get the Name field populated with the same during edit mode.

Thanks,

Vimal

solarcookersolarcooker

Hello Vimal,

Thank you very much for your quick reply. The Name field is of type Text(80). It is the standard name field of the custom object (I make it unique with additional workflow and validation rule).

The problem is exactly as you describe it: if the Name field is first filled out, everything works fine. But if the search is done first, it is automatically populated with the value of the selected value, which is very annoying.

Your help is very much appreciated.

Solarcooker

champvimalchampvimal

I don't want to digress but is there a need to have "Name" field of datatype "Text"? Since, the Name needs to be a Unique Cooker Number, why don't you use Auto-number datatype for Name field? It will automatically create unique Cooker Numbers for each record.

Thanks,

Vimal

solarcookersolarcooker

That is of course a legitimate question. The thing is that the "number" does not only consist of digits but is a mix of digits and letters (e.g. "T 300", "OLI-c 111", "E 2534"), depending on the type of product and the production center (we have several centers here in Madagascar). And second, the numbers are manually painted on the cooker, so we have to enter them manually as well.

Thanks for your help.

Solarcooker

champvimalchampvimal

Ok, if that is the case then ofcourse your "Name" field will be Unique identifier and should be of datatype "Text".

Regarding the issue you have, unless someone comes up with better solution, I would suggest you train users to first input Name field with the Cooker Number and then choose the Type of Product.

Thanks,

Vimal

This was selected as the best answer
solarcookersolarcooker

Thank you Vimal.

Hopefully someone else comes up with a better solution. But in the meantime, I'll just train my users to first input the Name field as you suggested.

Thanks for your help

Solarcooker