function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
hassabhassab 

Restricting Access to Reports?

Anyone have any idea on how to restrict access to reporting on objects by record type?  Here's our situation - with almost all of our standard objects we need people to be able to see the full record on one set of record types or on the records they own but a restricted view on the remaining records.  Basically they need to be aware that the record exists and see basic information on it, but be restricted from viewing sensitive data.  This is particularly needed in contracts.  I am able to achieve this with a view all and view only layout assigned in the appropriate way to each profile, but the trouble is the user can just create a report and see all the data anyway.  I don't want to restrict the ability to create reports entirely, because they need to be able to pull lists on the fly for their own data.  I just don't want them to be able to report on the record types they don't have access to in their profile. 

Barring that, I'd like them to only be able to view records, but not report on them, for specific objects.  Is there any way to do either of these?

Thanks,

Hassab

aalbertaalbert

When a user runs a report, they can only see data that they have access to. A report does not give users access to date they don't already have access to see.

hassabhassab

Understood, but that "access" is based on object and field, not record type or layout.  So, if you have given them read all access to the object so that they can see all the records and then restricted via the record type and layout to hide sensitive data, the reporting security as it currently exists doesn't know to restrict those fields that are not on the layout for that record type.  I need some way to manually restrict reporting on records only - not viewing the records - by record type, or even the entire object for reporting.