function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
SpunkySpunky 

Salesforce Content-Search methodology

Can someone please clarify how the sidebar search in Content in designed to work? the only thing I know for sure is wildcard searches are not supported. 

We've just rolled out Content in one of our business units and in the few test searches I've entered, it's very unclear as to the component it searches, i.e does it search title or description or the content itself and in which order.

It also looks like there are requirements as to how the keyword should be entered?

Pradeep_NavatarPradeep_Navatar

Salesforce.com offers two main ways to search for records and tags—Sidebar Search and Advanced Search, accessible via a link in the sidebar.

Sidebar Search:- Searches are automatically treated as a phrase search; that is, the search matches terms only in the exact sequence that they appear.

For example, searching for bob jones returns items with Bob Jones, but not Bobby Jones or Bob T Jones. Likewise, searching for acct!4 only returns items with acct!4 in a single string.

Advanced Search:- Search terms are treated as separate words and may be found in different indexed fields within a record. Words are demarcated by letter, number, and punctuation boundaries.

For example, searching for bob jones returns items with Bob Jones, as well as a contact named Bob Smith whose email address is bsmith@jones.com.

For more help, visit—

https://ap1.salesforce.com/help/doc/user_ed.jsp?loc=help&target=search_results.htm&section=Search&showSplash=true

Hope this helps.

SpunkySpunky

The question was actually in reference to Salesforce CRM Content searches not the standard salesforce search. From the depicted behavior, the Content application search works quite differently compared to the standard search.

SherriASherriA

We're just about to deploy Content, and what I've found is that the search field actually performs a full text search of every document.  The filters in the sidebar let you further narrow down your results based on the parameters displayed - for example workspaces, content types, various fields you may have created, author, tags, file format, etc - you just check off the filters you want to employ to limit the results.  

SpunkySpunky

Yes, I did observe that same behavior, full document search but it wasnt consistent. Few of the beta users wanted to know if they could do a quick search for the doc using the search instead of filters but I think the answer is going to be "use a combination of filetrs and search because simply search itself won't work".