function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
May_The_ForceMay_The_Force 

How to get User-entered Value?

Hello. I am new to SF development and currently at a standstill in attempting to validate an e-mail address.

I have an object called Users which has accepts a name and e-mail address (both text on a standard SF page). I have also created a custom link called "validate e-mail". I plan to call a webservice passing the user-entered e-mail address when the custom link is clicked.I have imported my WSDL into an APEX class and everything works (I tested also)

Currently, I am not able to figure out how to display the user-entered value when the link is clicked.

Upon clicking on my link, I just want to display the user entered value in an alert statement but I have been unsuccessful. If this works I would like to call my webservice class and validate the e-mail address upon clicking on my custom link

I have been reading the forums and cookbook, but still not able to figure it out. Any help is appreciated...Thanks.

MandyKoolMandyKool

Hi,

From your explanation it seems that you have to validate the email field. Not sure whether you have to do it using the Web-Services only.

The simple way to validate the email value is to use the "Standard Controller"  on VF page.

Then you can use the input field so that salesforce will automatically do the email-field validation.

following is the sample code for VF.

<apex:page standardController="User__c">
<apex:form>
<apex:pageBlock title="My Content" mode="edit">
<apex:pageBlockButtons>
<apex:commandButton action="{!save}" value="Save"/>
</apex:pageBlockButtons>
<apex:pageBlockSection title="My Content Section" columns="2">
<apex:inputField value="{!User__c.name}"/>
<apex:inputField value="{!User__c.EmailField}"/>
</apex:pageBlockSection>
</apex:pageBlock>
</apex:form>
</apex:page>

Also, the "EmailField__c" should be of type "Email".

May_The_ForceMay_The_Force

Thank you for your reply.  I am still struggling to get the user-entered value. Essentially this is what I am trying to do:

1. I have set up an object called Users (API name MovieAppUser__c) with two fields one a user name and another a custom field called e-mail (which is of the type text). I am able to enter records through a standard sales force page (my Users tab).
  2. What I would like to do is whenever a new user is being inserted I would like to fire off a trigger that validates the e-mail address via a web service call
  3. I have created the APEX Class by importing the WSDL and tested it out (it works)
  4. I have created the public class which makes the call to the webservice
  5. I have created the APEX Trigger (on the Users) on my Users object which fires off before insert , to ensure user has entered a correct e-mail address

In short, my goal is to validate an e-mail id that the user enters via a webservice (I just want to try it for the sake of trying and learning APEX and cloud computing). Perhaps In hindsight, I should have picked something simper to begin with…

I get the following error:

"Apex trigger webserviceTrigger caused an unexpected exception, contact your administrator: webserviceTrigger: execution of BeforeInsert caused by: System.NullPointerException: Attempt to de-reference a null object: Trigger.webserviceTrigger: line 10, column 15"

After some research, I noticed that webservice callouts are not allowed via triggers. I tried some alternate approaches:

Option 1  - Let the javascript on the standard SF page call the class which calls the webservice to validate the e-mail ID before saving the record

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I created a custom link which upon clicking validates my e-mail ID but I am still not able to get the user-entered value from the web page to the javascript. I can't figure out the name or id of the e-mail textbox from the webpage. The API name for the custom e-mail field is e_mail__c, but when I try this it's not working. How can I get the ID of the field?

Option 2 - Creating a new Visual Force Page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some community folks have also suggested the use of a Custom VisualForce page that is pretty much like a form. When submitting the form, call javascript which calls the class containing web service calls....again I'm running into the same issues.

My Form:

<apex:page standardController="MovieAppUser__c">
<apex:form >
<apex:pageBlock title="My Content" mode="edit">
<apex:pageBlockButtons >
<apex:commandButton action="{!save}" value="Save"/>
</apex:pageBlockButtons>
<apex:pageBlockSection title="My Content Section" columns="2">
<apex:inputField value="{!MovieAppUser__c.name}"/>
<apex:inputField value="{!MovieAppUser__c.e_mail__c}"/>
</apex:pageBlockSection>
</apex:pageBlock>
</apex:form>
</apex:page>

My Class :

global class My_Class {

public static Boolean checkValidEmail( String p_email  ){
        boolean m_flag ;
        validateEmailwwwWebservicexNet.ValidateEmailSoap m_myVar = new  validateEmailwwwWebservicexNet.ValidateEmailSoap();

try{
            m_flag = m_myVar.IsValidEmail( p_email ); 

system.debug (' -------------> My webservice call value =' + m_flag );
        }catch(Exception e ){
            system.debug (' -------------> Exception occured in the web service call' );
            e.getMessage();
        }

return m_flag ;       
    }
}

What is the best way to achieve my goal? How should my Javascript be? I just need to get an idea....

Thanks.