function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
NeilJWNeilJW 

Need help with Test Class Coverage: how to get to 100%

Hi all... here's my first trigger. I'm setting three field values on a lead (a four hour follow up time in business hours; an eight hour follow up time in business hours; and grabbing the users manager's email to store on the lead for emailing purposes). I've got it all working and I've got a test class working. Everything is fine except I can only get my test class coverage to 91%. How do I get to 100%? It was at 100% until I enhanced my trigger code to work better. Please help!

Trigger code:

trigger calcLeadFollowUpTimes on Lead (before insert) {

BusinessHours stdBusinessHours = [select id from businesshours where Name = 'JELD-WEN Leads'];
String mgrEmail = 'email@email.com'; 
String mgrID = '';

for (Lead LD: Trigger.new) {
mgrID = [select ManagerId from user where user.Id =: LD.ownerId].ManagerId;
if ( mgrID != NULL) {
mgrEmail = [select Email from user where user.id =: mgrID].email;
}
if ( stdBusinessHours != NULL) {
// We currently have 12 hours / day (5:00 AM - 5:00 PM, M-F). Our SLA is 8 business hours. This trigger calculates 4 business hours as a halfway point reminder. 
LD.Four_Hour_Follow_Up_Time__c = BusinessHours.addGmt (stdBusinessHours.id, System.Now(), 4 * 60 * 60 * 1000L);
LD.Eight_Hour_Follow_Up_Time__c = BusinessHours.addGmt (stdBusinessHours.id, System.Now(), 8 * 60 * 60 * 1000L);
}
if ( mgrEmail != NULL) {
//Sets the manager's email field so that manager can be notified
LD.LeadOwnersManagersEmail__c = mgrEmail;
}
}
}

Now here is my test class code:

@isTest
private class testLeadFollowUpsClass {

static testMethod void insertLead() {
// Insert a lead
System.debug('NJ:Inserting Lead to test follow up times');
Lead ldDated = new Lead (LastName='TestLead123123', Company='JW', Status='New', Lead_Type__c='Architect');
insert ldDated;

// Read the record back and verify that the fields modified by this trigger are not null
ldDated = [select Id, LastName, Four_Hour_Follow_Up_Time__c, Eight_Hour_Follow_Up_Time__c, LeadOwnersManagersEmail__c
from Lead 
where LastName = 'TestLead123123'];
System.assert (ldDated.Four_Hour_Follow_Up_Time__c != NULL); 
System.assert (ldDated.Eight_Hour_Follow_Up_Time__c != NULL);
System.assert (ldDated.LeadOwnersManagersEmail__c != NULL);
System.assert (ldDated.Id !=NULL);
}
} // testLeadFollowUpsClass

Any advice? I'm brand new to APEX and fairly new to programming anything in general so please explain. Thanks, Neil

EDIT:

One other thing I would be interested in knowing is if there is anything I can do to make sure that this trigger doesn't prevent a user from saving a lead. In other words is there an exception handling?

Thanks!

b-Forceb-Force

For adding exceptions in Trigger code you can use addError, It will prevent any DML

click here for documentation

Trigger.new.myField__C.addError('bad');

Thanks,

Bala

NeilJWNeilJW

Bala, I've read through the documentation and don't quite understand. My goal is that if the trigger fails it won't fail the insert of the record. If I add this to my code it will allow the trigger to fail without failing the record insert?

Also how do you make it so your code shows up in a box? I've been trying to figure that out.

Thanks,