function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
SKurdakulSKurdakul 

Desperately Seeking Workflow Rules

I have posted, discussed, and now I am desperately seeking a solution to my issue (I can't be the only one, either!). Here's my delema (and I am not technically oriented either, so please be patient):

We currently have 10 different company divisions, yet we house ALL contacts under one SalesForce (enterprise). Because there is some crossover, some of our contacts get multiple email messages from us. Each email blast needs to have its own distinct Opt-Out. We currently have Opt-Out buttons set up under "Subscription Information" (contact level), but every email blast service says SalesForce only allows for a Global Opt-Out. Is there a Validation Rule that would allow each seperate Campaign an Opt-Out link that would then trigger the appropriate Opt-Out "check box" to be enabled? We are manually doing this process now, then running a report to refresh the specific Opt-Outs, then adding them to a specific Opt-Out campaign. We then set criteria to only send a message to the specific Campaign members that are not in that specific Opt-Out campaign. (Are you lost yet?) The hitch then, becomes developing a validation rule that would allow the specific Campaign's Unsubscribe link to activate the specific Opt-Out check box. Can this be done? If so, can someone help me understand how that validation rule should work?

SF tech support response was as follows:

I believe  that you are referring to workflow rules. Workflow can be used to set a field value based upon a trigger criteria. However, the update only takes effect when the record is created or updated so would have to touch every record which is what you are running into now. Plus, the workflow rules would be very complex if it was possible to handle the situation you have.

Can anyone help me? Feel free to call and discuss (646) 442-3701 and ask for Sheri.

Peter GruhlPeter Gruhl

Hi Sheri,

Do you have anyone on staff that can do a little Apex (Force.com) programming?

I see a number of possible solutions depending on the specifics of your implementation. Some options include the following:

1) Add a custom list field to the contact record which is updated with the ID of each eMail blast that goes out. Each blast is given a unique ID and the eMail routine checks the list first on each contact – if the blast ID is there, no additional eMail is sent. If not, the ID is added, and the eMail is scheduled for that contact.

2) Use the join feature of data access to determine the unique set of contacts for each eMail blast across all 10 divisions. Note: this technique implies that there is a single source that knows for which divisions each eMail is set to blast.

3) Generate a custom list of all the eMail addresses, and either de-dup them, or set the eMail address as a unique field, and the duplicate eMail addresses will not be saved. Then just blast to the final list.

Hope that helps!

- Peter G.