function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Karthik112Karthik112 

Integration Failures

Hi There,

We have an integration between SFDC and a legacy system. In case of any integration failures (like if external server is down) is there a way to capture/store the payload somewhere and re trigger the xml request payload later when the resources are available..?

Not sure if sales force provides some kind of queuing mechanism to retrigger the request from queue..or if this has to be custom built, how do I do this..?

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
SuperfellSuperfell

Outbound messaging was specifically built for your scenario, it automatically handles queing, retries & back-off, etc.

All Answers

Bhawani SharmaBhawani Sharma

You can use the outbound messaging, if you are keeping data in sink between salesforce and a  lagecy system.

Salesforce automatically retries the failure outbound message.

In case of other situation you can insert a custom record with a concreate value if web service call out fails and can set up a time dependent workflow which will trigger a field update and trigger code will be get executed and then make a webservice call from future method.

Please confirm if this make sense.

Karthik112Karthik112

Hi..basically what you say is log the transaction in a custom object and have a trigger fire on an update to re send the request periodically, if I understood u right? 

Also, to have bi directional sync (real time) of accounts,contacts,opportunites (all about 1million records closesly), we have done several prototypes with apex callouts,but havent tried outbound messaging.Can u suggest if outbound messaging meets my purpose,If so please let me know how it is different from an apex webservice callout? I am just looking to see if I am making my scenario so complex, when something simple offered by sales force does my job in less time...

I know this is kind of a simple one. pls advise. Thanks.

SuperfellSuperfell

Outbound messaging was specifically built for your scenario, it automatically handles queing, retries & back-off, etc.

This was selected as the best answer