function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
BenzingaBenzinga 

Custom Object Conversion to Another Custom Object

Is it possible to convert one custom object to another custom object? Is it easy to do?

Jake GmerekJake Gmerek

Could you be more specific?  I can think of multiple scenerios that fit the bill that would be handled differently.  If you want to create a new object and move all the records from an old object to the new you could do that with the Data Loader.  If you want to change the object that stores a specific record, that could be done with a button click and some apex code, or even a trigger if the change would occur when something is updated.  Let me know and I will try to give you some specifics.

BenzingaBenzinga

So we are putting our customer database into Salesforce, and we keep information for users that begin the process, but don't complete it.

This leads to a situation where fields that are normally filled, and are required for our standard customer database, are unfilled.

So I was going to create a second database that would then be able to be converted if we ever put in full information for these users.

BenzingaBenzinga

Also I do not believe I am able to use APEX. I can create custom buttons, but I do not have the developer edition.

Bhawani SharmaBhawani Sharma
  • Object cannot be converted in to other object.
  • You will have create a new object to handle the scenerio where you wnat to keep the incomplete information.
  • Some Apex script will be need for this and trigger will be the best option.

Do you have any kind of integration ?

BenzingaBenzinga

We have no integration (that I know of?)

How do I create a trigger? My version of Salesforce does not allow developing in Apex.

Even moving all of the fields from one object to another and then deleting the original object item would work.

BenzingaBenzinga

I got a Developer Force trial edition, would this work for my purposes?

Bhawani SharmaBhawani Sharma

Yes, it will.

BenzingaBenzinga

How do I use triggers from the Developer edition on our regular Salesforce?