function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
MarcSelwanMarcSelwan 

How to create a workflow that generates an email update once a day?

Hello! 

I am trying to create a workflow for an incoming case as followed:

Case comes in -> if case is red -> send email with case comments each day until case is closed. 

The case object and rules are there, its the generating email part that I can't seem to figure out. Is this something I will need to code on my own or does salesforce have this and I am just missing it? 

I tried to search but came up empty handed. 

Thanks!

Marc

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
TrimbleAgTrimbleAg

Workflow does not run every 24 or at a set amount of time. If you set a time dependent workflow it will fire at the time regardless of what has occured to the record. So if the case no longer met the criteria it would still fire because it did at the last save.

Escalation rules do, it check the record at the time set to see if it still falls under that catagory, if it does it fires.

Trust me, I have over 300 support and O/A admins globally using cases.

PB

All Answers

PratzJPratzJ

You can read up a bit on Time Dependent Workflows. That should help. You should ensure that the Workflow is triggered everyday till the case is resolved. So in addition to the exisitng workflow create a separate time dependend workflow, which will send an email once a day till the case is closed.

TrimbleAgTrimbleAg

Hmmm, I have to disagree, I would use the case escalation rules feature...

The reasoning is that a time dependent workflow will fire regardless of any changes that are made after save. So if the case is no longer red, it would still fire at the designated time, if I am correct.

An escalation rule will check to see if the condition at the time  you set still meets the criteria and will fire if so.

PB

MarcSelwanMarcSelwan

Thanks for the replies, I am still not fully understanding how to make the workfow run every 24 hours. I looked at the escaltion rules, and I can set it to escalate at 24 hours since the case has been open, but my question is how do I repeat that? 

to simplify what I am trying to do: 

I have a case -> 24 hours pass, sends an email template which I have created. -> 24 hours pass, sends same email -> repeats until case if closed or priority level changes. 

I have the prioty levels created, I have the case, I have the template, I have the escalation rule that says "if red-> email age over 24 hours" then notify me with email template. 

does the escalation rule automatically apply every 24 hours? or is it a one time deal? 

Thanks for all the help I really really appreciate it, 

Marc 

TrimbleAgTrimbleAg

Workflow does not run every 24 or at a set amount of time. If you set a time dependent workflow it will fire at the time regardless of what has occured to the record. So if the case no longer met the criteria it would still fire because it did at the last save.

Escalation rules do, it check the record at the time set to see if it still falls under that catagory, if it does it fires.

Trust me, I have over 300 support and O/A admins globally using cases.

PB

This was selected as the best answer
MarcSelwanMarcSelwan

You are a hero my friend, 

Thank you.