function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
RimaRima 

Storing too much of information in a contact

Hi,

I have about 50 custom fields for contact object. Is it a good design to have all the fields under contact object or create a new custom object and store some information about that contact in the new object? next, create a lookup relationship between new object and contact? Could anyone please give me suggestion on this? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Ispita_NavatarIspita_Navatar

Hi,

Generally child objects are not created to deal with the massive number of fields in a particular object, they are done to capture information where there may be more than 1 instance related to a parent object.

So in case the structure and type of data is such that it has direct relevance to the contact then use of a child object linked via lookup or master detail is not advisable.

Did this answer your question? If not, let me know what didn't work, or if so, please mark it solved.

All Answers

Ispita_NavatarIspita_Navatar

Hi,

Generally child objects are not created to deal with the massive number of fields in a particular object, they are done to capture information where there may be more than 1 instance related to a parent object.

So in case the structure and type of data is such that it has direct relevance to the contact then use of a child object linked via lookup or master detail is not advisable.

Did this answer your question? If not, let me know what didn't work, or if so, please mark it solved.

This was selected as the best answer
RimaRima

Hi,

Thank you for your response. I am not still clear how do I handle when I have many fields in contact? Shall I track some information in contact and rest of them in a custom object with lookup relationship or everything in the contact object? Your help is greatly appreciated.

BlasgenBlasgen

Yes, as the previous person said, it's not a big deal to have 500 fields on a record.  Just do it that way if it's a 1 to 1 relationship.  Now if you're trying to have a one to many (ie, every Contact can have multiple Survey's) then yes, you'd create a custom object.  But what's the issue you're having with one huge object?

RimaRima

Hi,

Thank you very much for clarifying the concept. I understood it now. Thank you both for giving me right direction in designing of the requirement.