function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Koen (BvD)Koen (BvD) 

REST api, webservices and Professional edition

We made a package for integration with Salesforce partly based on the webserivce api. Because of this, it is not available in most professional editions (as they have to pay an extra fee to activate this) Now I see that the new REST api has the functions that we need. First I wonder : is this available for all editions? I can't find any info, but the announcement says "for all".

My second question is then : is it still reasonable to deactivate webservices for professional edition if I can do the same using REST api? It is just that the webservice SOAP interface is much nicer and easier to use, but if we can do it the other way (REST api) then there is nothing stopping me from wasting some time in reprogramming the calls I need.

Koen.

SuperfellSuperfell

As far as i know, the REST API will only be available to organizations that have the SOAP API.

Koen (BvD)Koen (BvD)

Thanks for that. I may have been mislead by the fact that it was announced as available for all, and as a means for integration with stuff like facebook, which to me implied that it wasn't targeting the high-end clients of salesforce. I suppose I'll have to wait the official release to have a definitive on that?

Koen.

SuperfellSuperfell

Do you have a link to the announcement you're referring to ?

Koen (BvD)Koen (BvD)

I had an e-mail where it said

. "Also in Spring '11, the REST API is generally available for developers to innovate and integrate with popular Web apps like Facebook and Google"

cliicking on the link brings me to this page announcement

where you can find the same text by clicking on force.com

SuperfellSuperfell

generally available (GA) means the feature has gone from pilot to a real released feature, its not an indication of who will have access to it.