function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
guppyguppy 

Workflow on email read in case

Morning all,

I've been looking at this for a day or so now but I cannot find a way to do what I'm after..maybe someone here has an idea.

We have a workflow that sets the case status to PENDING when an incoming email is received on a case (we use email2case).  That works fantastic and easily lets the engineer know they have work to do on this case.  Further, we "auto nag" every 1,2,4 hours if the email hasn't been read.

However.  Currently, the engineer has to manually change the case status when they have read the email to stop the nagger.  I'd like to change this automatically when they have read the email (where read is defined as reading in SF.com).  So I have a new workflow on the Email object that says:

(Email Message: Status equals Read) and (Email Message: Is Incoming equals True)
Given that the email message status changes from NEW to READ when you read the email in SF.  My problem?  The workflow isn't firing even though the email status is changing.  I have the eval critiera on the workflow set to "Every time a record is created or edited" but I've also tried "...did not previously meet".
So the question.  Is there a way with workflows to change the case status when an email is read?
Thanks!
Dave
werewolfwerewolf
This is a known issue -- the Read flag on email does not currently trigger workflow (or Apex for that matter).  I'm not sure there's really any good workaround right now.
guppyguppy

Thanks!  Well, that is indeed a drag.  But at least I know not to keep banging my head against the wall ;)

Thanks again

Dave

jwalshjwalsh

Anyone have any further luck with this?  Glad I stumbled across this post as I was just going down the road of figuring this exact thing out.  Seems like it should be easy for SFDC to fix!