function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
sales4cesales4ce 

Help with Data Loader

Hi,

I use data loader for mass updating, deleting.

while using to mass update, i have an issue.

Lets say i have CSV file with Following Information:

Account ID           Old Value     New Value

00001234xyz       A                

New Value is of type picklist and has following values:

--None--

A

B

C

Now, when i use data loader to update the field, it does not update to empty, instead it retains its Old value i.e, A from above example.

I tried to use NULL in New Value field in CSV file, but when i update it creates a new value in the Picklist with NULL as another value.I dont want that to happen.

Any ideas would be of great help.

Thanks in advance,

Sales4ce

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
indy_sfdcindy_sfdc

When you are working with DataLoader from the UI go into the settings menu and check the "Insert null values" checkbox.  Make sure you uncheck the box when you finished with your import or you could have some bad results and overwrite fields to null where you do not want that behavior.  this will force ALL empty fields to be written as NULL.

Also, test in Sandbox or developer org so you can verify your results.  Never can be too safe with your production data!

If you look in Salesforce Help for your Org you can find more details on DataLoader settings and how to configure if you are using command line.

All Answers

indy_sfdcindy_sfdc

When you are working with DataLoader from the UI go into the settings menu and check the "Insert null values" checkbox.  Make sure you uncheck the box when you finished with your import or you could have some bad results and overwrite fields to null where you do not want that behavior.  this will force ALL empty fields to be written as NULL.

Also, test in Sandbox or developer org so you can verify your results.  Never can be too safe with your production data!

If you look in Salesforce Help for your Org you can find more details on DataLoader settings and how to configure if you are using command line.

This was selected as the best answer
sales4cesales4ce

Thanks for your idea/help.It worked as expected.