function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
bamminbammin 

A custom object isn't showing up as an addable field in the self-service portal.... and more

I created a custom object, "Sites", and added it to the cases fields. It is also linked to accounts such that "Sites" shows up as a seperate area in each Account object. (I intend to use it to identify all the physical locations of an account. Each account has multiple sites.)

The problem is that "Site" isn't showing up in the layout page for "log a case" in the self service portal. Answers?

Since I'm on the topic, here is another question: When a customer opens a case via the self-service portal, I'd like them to select two different criteria: site and type of problem. From that criteria I like to set another field in the case, "billing code". This is all common, basic stuff. Is this doable using the salesforce out of the box or do I have install or write an app or use my own web server to do all the heavy lifting? Basically, I am trying to get it to performing a set operation based on the following relational db query:

get billingCode WHERE billingCode.caseReason = "mac" AND billingCode.site = "site" AND billingCode.account ="logged in account"

How do I do this in the self-service portal, or is there a better way?

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
ahab1372ahab1372

last time I checked, the self-service portal did not support custom fields (IIRC). You might need to use a third party tool or use the Customer portal (with additional license costs)

All Answers

bmabma

An initial thought, did you enable you self-service portal users access to the custom object you created?

You can check by going to "Setup" -> "Manage Users" -> "Profiles" and select the profile for the customer portal user. Scroll down and you can see if the customer object you created is accessible through that profile.

bamminbammin

I don't think I can modify profiles.... Ah, I have professional edition and it appears I cannot modify the default profile nor assign additional profiles. (at least according to this post) http://community.salesforce.com/t5/Product-Discussion/Setup-Manage-Users-Profiles-Missing/m-p/91503

Could PE be blocking my efforts? Based on my first post do you think I'm going to be deeply unstatisfied with my Salesforce experience unless I upgrade?

bmabma

I guess it depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

Salesforce has different types of subscriptions:

Sales Cloud Editions - http://www.salesforce.com/crm/editions-pricing.jsp

Service Cloud Editions - http://www.salesforce.com/crm/editions-pricing-service.jsp

Force.com Editions - http://www.salesforce.com/platform/platform-edition/

You should talk to your account executive to determine which type fits your need.

bamminbammin

Since it was buried in my first post, I'll repost this question:

Since I'm on the topic, here is another question: When a customer opens a case via the self-service portal, I'd like them to select two different criteria: site and type of problem. From that criteria I like to set another field in the case, "billing code". This is all common, basic stuff. Is this doable using the salesforce out of the box or do I have install or write an app or use my own web server to do all the heavy lifting? Basically, I am trying to get it to performing a set operation based on the following relational db query:

get billingCode WHERE billingCode.caseReason = "mac" AND billingCode.site = "site" AND billingCode.account ="logged in account"

How do I do this in the self-service portal, or is there a better way?

ahab1372ahab1372

last time I checked, the self-service portal did not support custom fields (IIRC). You might need to use a third party tool or use the Customer portal (with additional license costs)

This was selected as the best answer