function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
emuelasemuelas 

Trigger to create child records

Hi,

I have the following custom objects:
1. Purchase Order(master) and Purchase_order_lines(detail)
2.Purchase_Order_Receipt(master) and Purchase_Order_ Receipt_lines(detail).

Purchase_Order_Receipt has a lookup relationship with Purchase Order(not able to create a master detail :"You cannot convert this field to a master-detail relationship because this would exceed the maximum depth of a master-detail relationship")

Whenever a new Purchase Order Receipt is created,a trigger should create Purchase_order_receipt_lines and populate them with the purchase order lines.

I have tried writing the following trigger:

trigger rec on Purchase_Order_Receipt__c (after insert)
{

Purchase_Order_Receipt__c to=trigger.new[0];

Purchase_Order__c p=[select id from Purchase_Order__c where id=:to.Purchase_Order__c];

list<Purchase_Order_Line__c> pl=[select id,Quantity__c,Unit_Cost__c,Product__c,purchase_order__c  from Purchase_Order_Line__c where Purchase_Order__c=:p.id ];

for(Purchase_Order_Line__c pli:pl)

{

Purchase_Order_Receipt_Lines__c rl=new Purchase_Order_Receipt_Lines__c();

rl.Product__c=pli.Product__c;
rl.Purchase_Order__c=pli.purchase_order__c;

insert rl;
}
}

But this is erroring out :
"Apex trigger rec caused an unexpected exception, contact your administrator: rec: execution of AfterInsert caused by: System.DmlException: Insert failed. First exception on row 0; first error: REQUIRED_FIELD_MISSING, Required fields are missing: [Purchase Order Receipt]: [Purchase Order Receipt]: Trigger.rec: line 25, column 1".

Please help.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
SurekaSureka

Hi,

I guess, in the Purchase_Order_Receipt_Lines__c, Name is the mandatory field and  since the name field is missing in the below code, you might have got this error.

Thanks

All Answers

SurekaSureka

Hi,

I guess, in the Purchase_Order_Receipt_Lines__c, Name is the mandatory field and  since the name field is missing in the below code, you might have got this error.

Thanks

This was selected as the best answer
emuelasemuelas

Thanks Sureka! This resolved the problem