function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
JeffreyStevensJeffreyStevens 

Developer Console Response from server was 500

I've been using the Developer Console almost all the time now.  I usually have Chrome open, with several tabs - maybe about 10.  I usually only have one developer consolel open, and only sign on to one Salesforce instance.

But for the last few days now - I've been getting many "Response from server was 500".  The "Save" button stay's in the "Saving" mode.  I have to close both the Console and the browser before it will reset.

If I try to pull up the same object using esclipse and save it - I get "The changes you requested require salesforce.com to temporarily lock your organizatinos's administration setup. However, the administrtion setup has already been locked by another change. Please Wait for the ..."

A Few Questions...

Is there a speific forum for the Developer Console?

Is there a way to report bugs, or otherwise get to the developers?

What about this specific error - anybody think there is anything I can do about it?

Thanks,

Thomas DvornikThomas Dvornik

Hey Jeffery, 

There is no specific forum for the developer console. I am a developer on the Platform Developer Tools team at salesforce. We scan all the boards for questions related to the developer console. If it is a feature, feel free to post it on idea exchange, as our product manage looks at those. Also, feel free to connect with us on chatter. We are usually more response there, although the nice thing about the forums is it is easier for everyone to find an answer. 

As for your issue, I've verified that the "Response from server was 500" is the same error you are getting from eclipse, we just aren't displaying the error nicely. I filed a bug. If you get an error like this in the future or some other weird behavior, it helps us if you get for any exceptions (console tab) or responses from bad request (network tab) in the Chrome javascript console

Usually a class is locked when something is running against it, like a batch job, test run, or deployment. If you clear any in progress or queued batch jobs, test runs, or deployments, you should be able to edit the file again.

Cheers

Thomas

JeffreyStevensJeffreyStevens
Hey that's good to know. ?Thanks for the response. I have basically gone back to Esclipse - just using the Dev console for debug logs. Although - I was well on my way to using it (Dev Console) full time. ?I had been using it almost full time for 3-4 weeks. ? I'm under some time pressures right now - so I'll try it again for Development next week sometime. Thanks again, Jeff
Thomas DvornikThomas Dvornik

Is there anything else stopping you from using it full time, or just the not-useful error message?

Hugo007Hugo007

Hi there,

I have also switched almost everyting to the developer console instead of Eclipse. The only things that are a problem is this 500 error and the lack of a global text search (in all classes, triggers, pages).

Don't stop the good work!

Hugo