function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
KT@CiscoKT@Cisco 

Generating a preview of Case description in mouse-over on the Cases view page

Hello!

By default, when we are on the View Cases page, the only way to see what each case description holds is to open each case and check it out.

We have a requirement where an agent should be able to preview a brief case description for each case when hovering over the mouse over each case on the View Cases page.

As an alternate workaround, I thought of creating a new view for the Cases tab and looked out for the "Description" field for the Case object but it does not show up as an available filed for the view. I checked the help file for Create New List at https://na6.salesforce.com/help/doc/user_ed.jsp?loc=help&target=customviews.htm&section=Custom_Views and the help documentation clearly states that you can add Textarea (Long) type fileds as long as the field is available on the Page layout. I confirmed that the"Description" field is available on the Case Layout page but it still does not show up as an "Available field" for a new view for Cases tab.

How do I go about making either of these solutions possible?

Thanks,

Komal

Message Edited by KT@Cisco on 03-10-2010 05:05 PM
Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
KT@CiscoKT@Cisco

Found the solution after opening a case with SFDC. While we couldn't find a way to do a mouse-over implementation, we can at least add a custom field/column to the view to show a brief case description using the following steps:

1. Create a custom field on Case Object of type TextArea (limited to 255 characters).

2. Create a workflow rule for Case Object.

3. Choose field criteria as Case Description <> ""

4. Choose Field  Update as the action.

5. Choose to update the custom field created in step-1 above.

6. In the formula editor, select the Case object and Description field. This will ensure that the custom field created in Step-1 above is populated with the value from the Case Description field each time the case is created or edited.

7. Remember to activate the workflow rule.

8. Click the <Cases> tab.

9. Create a new view.

10. Select the custom field created in Step-1 above in the "List of available fields" and add it to the selection on RHS list.

11. Click <Save> and go to the <Cases> tab.

12. You will notice the newly created custom field in the new view created in steps-9 and 10 above. However, the field will be empty for existing cases.

This is because the workflow only works when the case is initially created or edited later on. In our case, since the existing cases were created before we did the above steps, we won't see any description for those existing cases until they are edited.

For all new cases in the system, this new column will show the proper case description.