function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Wesley CWesley C 

Custom Object

Is anyone aware of a way to create a custom object that is capable of cross-module functionality (reporting specifically)?

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
*werewolf**werewolf*

NP is not entirely correct.

Here's what you can do:

1.  Build your custom object, say "Usage."

2.  Add a Master-Detail field to Account on Usage.

3.  Add a numeric field on Usage that stores the actual usage in whatever units you're measuring.

4.  Go to Account and add a Rollup Summary field.  This type of field will be able to sum up the numeric field you created in step 3 on a per-account basis.

If you need to do more granular reporting (i.e. "usage this month by account") you can do so by creating a custom report on Usage and grouping it by account.

All Answers

*werewolf**werewolf*

What exactly do you mean, "cross-module functionality?"  Any custom object you create is capable of participating in reports.

Wesley CWesley C

Thanks for the reply.

We want to build a report and eventually workflow where there is criteria from the "Account Module" (our existing main module) and a new "Custom Module" (probably used for more of our usage data).

For example, if we have all of the basic application information in the Account Module, such as state, and we have usage data in a Custom Module, we'd like to build a workflow that sends an eMail or updates a custom field based on clients in say Colorado (info from Account Module) processing $15,000 or more per month (Custom Module)...

Wes

NPNP

I do not think you can update a field value other then picklist from one object to another obejct( even if they have relationship)... you will have to take help of VF page  or Trigger to update the value from one Object to another Object and using SFDC report you can generate reports, which will depend .. if you use Trigger you should not have any issues but if you have VF page you might have some... 

Thanks 

*werewolf**werewolf*

NP is not entirely correct.

Here's what you can do:

1.  Build your custom object, say "Usage."

2.  Add a Master-Detail field to Account on Usage.

3.  Add a numeric field on Usage that stores the actual usage in whatever units you're measuring.

4.  Go to Account and add a Rollup Summary field.  This type of field will be able to sum up the numeric field you created in step 3 on a per-account basis.

If you need to do more granular reporting (i.e. "usage this month by account") you can do so by creating a custom report on Usage and grouping it by account.

This was selected as the best answer
NPNP

Thanks for the correction .. I forgot about roll-up summary field yes your can do that .