function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
SargeSarge 

Ordering of field updates in Workflow actions

Hi everyone,

If there are multiple field updates configured in an workflow actions, does the individual field update fire according to the list or in random order?

Ideally I assume it to be in the order of the list displayed in workflow actions page, but has anyone witnessed it?

Thanks

sebcossebcos

Hi Sarge,

There is no order guaranteed when executing actions. The only order which is guaranteed is that field update actions are executed before any other actions.

To control the order of execution of actions , like field updates, you might need to create time-based workflow or write an Apex trigger:

http://208.74.204.95/t5/General-Development/how-to-order-the-execution-of-two-field-updates/m-p/168548

SargeSarge
Thanks for your reply sebcos. One more thing I am curious about. If an Approval process's initial submission actions updates a field, will the work-flow fire when conditions are met? If it fires, is it possible for field updates on workflow actions execute the update(as record is locked for editing)?
sebcossebcos

Hi Sarge,

I would try that out but I am expecting field updates not to work in that case since the record is locked and only admins can unlock and edit it and I am not sure approval process initial submission actions will trigger a workflow rule either.

For more details search in help for: In what order are automation rules and Apex triggers processed?

EIE50EIE50

Hi Sarge,

You cannot invoke a workflow from an approval process filed update. workaround would be to write an apex trigger and accomplish your field update.

Thanks.

Danny SalvadoriDanny Salvadori
RE: "There is no order guaranteed when executing actions",
Does this include the record lock/unlock in approval processes? I'm running a trigger off a field update to delete the record under XYZ conditions, but it can't because the record hasn't unlocked yet. This seems absurd. If there is a field update, surely you have to unlock the record first?