function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
crazycloudcrazycloud 

How to open file from local system?

Hi,

I have a txt file in my system in D:\MyDocs\test.txt. I want to open this file from a custom link. How can I do this?

Please help me if anybody has idea.

EnthEnth

For a general reference add a Custom Link using Setup->App Setup->Home->Custom Links. You'll need to ensure you have custom links on your home page layout though.

If you want the link to appear on a record add a URL custom field and set the contents of the field to your file.

Obviously this will only work for you, but if you were accessing a shared drive all users within your company with access to the shared drive could access the information.

crazycloudcrazycloud
I have already created a Custom link for this and the value i had gaiven is file:////D://MyDocs//test.txt. But it is not working. Can you tell me what will be URL to open the file in my system.
EnthEnth

Hmm, I see, it wants to put http:// in front regardless of what you include, that's a bit naff.

The only workaround I can think of is to make your field a Text field, and then create a formula field for it that uses  HYPERLINK(myurltextfield, 'linkname', '_new'). I tried this, go the link I wanted but still couldn't open the file, so may still be an issue with the URL syntax for file://, but what you had looked right to me.