function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
sales4cesales4ce 

Mass change of ownership of Account Records

Hi,

I have an issue. I want to mass change the ownership of accounts, ensuring that contacts and opportunities associated with previous owner should change to new owner.

One way to do this is using "Transfer Accounts" tool. but, this would restrict us to 250 accounts only.

Also, when you want to search accounts by ID's using "Transfer Accounts" is not possible.Salesforce does not give the option of Account Id in the available values of picklist for filtering.

I only have Account ID and New Owner Id values in my spreadsheet.

Another way to update on a mass basis is using "Data Loader" and map the owner to new Owner ID.

But, this only changes the Account owner, but does not change owner in Contact and Opportunity that previous owner owned.

Can anybody help me with this.

Thanks in advance!

Sales4ce

Message Edited by sales4ce on 03-18-2010 10:58 AM
Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
kingkong94538kingkong94538

write a small trigger that will update contact and opportunity owners based on the account owner name and then run the data loader. the tigger for this will be just few lines of code and will not take more than 30 minutes to create and test in sandox. Once its tested deploy to salesforce prod. Once you are done loading the data, remove the trigger.