function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Eager-2-LearnEager-2-Learn 

Custom Object Permissions

Hello,

I am trying to prevent the Standard User from editing a custom object that I have as a related list on the Opportunity page.  The edit and delete buttons are enabled!  I went to the Standard Profile (SFDC's) and when in edit mode I go to the Custom Object section to deselect the Create, Edit, and Delete basic access buttons but they are disabled.

Does anyone know a work around to this issue? 

Currently I created validation rules to prevent fields from being editable if a Standard Profile is detected for a given user; however, this is after the fact.  Meaning, the user clicks the edit button changes data, saves then finds out that they cannot edit because my VR stops them.  Although this works, the users hate it because they should not have an edit/delete button or it should be disabled if they cannot edit.

Thanks in advance for your support.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Nick34536345Nick34536345

The permissions will be the same, the ony problem I can think of is if you have some customisations like apex or validation which depend on the profile name, or profile Id then it might break those,

I don't think there is a quick way to update all

All Answers

Nick34536345Nick34536345

Hi,

for whatever reason you can adjust the custom object permissions for custom profiles, but not the built-in standard profiles.

so you could clone the Standard user profile and then adjust the permissions that way,

Nick

That was my thought but that brings me to my next set of questions.

1. If I clone the Standard object and change all users who are currently assigned to the Standard Profile to the new Custom Profile would that impact anything else in SFDC like permission, etc as they worked prior to a change such as this.

2. Is there a way to mass change all users profiles to the new profile or do I have to do all 132 users one by one?

Nick34536345Nick34536345

The permissions will be the same, the ony problem I can think of is if you have some customisations like apex or validation which depend on the profile name, or profile Id then it might break those,

I don't think there is a quick way to update all

This was selected as the best answer

Thank you very much for the feedback.  Great thought on the $profile reference.  Currently I do not have any such references; however, it would be nice if SFDC had automatic updates to any references.  For example, when I change the name of a field then the field references in Validation rules appear to update automatically.  However, I do believe reading that that does not occur in our apex classses!  What a pitty.

Thanks again for all your support.