function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
YuckleYuckle 

Public Comment on Case Close

We would like to force (but would accept "encourage") our reps to add a public comment whenever they close a case. 

Plan A -  I had hoped I could change the screen that comes up from the standard Close Case button to do this.  And i can, I'm told, if I write triggers for the validation and such.  But I do not currently have the experience or knowledge to do this.

Plan B - Don't use the Close Case screen.  I tested removing the Close Case button and enabling the ability to select the closed status on the edit screen.  This allows us go to the case, enter a private comment, enter a public comment, then close the case.  This is better but still has an issue.  The comments are entered from the case screen while one has to choose edit then select a closed status.  This is probably not much better than what we have today (the default).  I fear that the agent will just go the the edit screen and pick a closed status.  We'd be back where we are today with no public comments on closed cases.  I'd like to assocaite the public comment creation with the act of closing the case on one screen.

Plan C - a tweak of Plan A -  Is there a way to remove the Solution section and add a field for a comment and a check box to make it public with out requiring it, thus not requiring the trigger.  If this requires a custom case close screen and button I could probably figure out how to write one, althoug it would be my first. 

or is there a better way?  ....  

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
YuckleYuckle

Actually, the way I resolved this was to create a custom checkbox called Make Internal Comment Public.  Then wrote a Workflow that set the Published checkbox to true on the related Comment object if the Make Internal Comment Public checkbox had been checked.

All Answers

Ispita_NavatarIspita_Navatar

Your problem can be easily sorted out using a simple workflow rule.

You want comments made if any should be public, for this:-

1. For this add a work-flow rule on "Solution" object-- triggering condition can be when CreateBy -- not equalto -- leave the third column as empty signifying "null"

2. next add a field update which sets the *Field to Update- Visible in Public Knowledge base to "True"

I think this should work for you.

3. You can make the "Comment" field required from the Page layout of "Case Close".

Did this answer your question? If not, let me know what didn't work, or if so, please mark it solved.

YuckleYuckle

Thanks for the reply.  Let's me see if were on the same page:

1.  I would write a workflow rule on Solution = null

2   When the workflow rule is true, its action is a Field Update to Visible inKnowledge base to true

The issue here is that I'm not trying to get them to enter a Solution to the knowedge base.  I'm trying to get them to add a Case Comment marked PUBLIC.

3   Make the Comment Field required from the Case Closer layout.

The issue here is that if I try to edit the Case Close page layout.  The only choice is Internal Comment  (not public).

Maybe I'm trying to hard to avoid using Solutions they way it was intended.

YuckleYuckle

Actually, the way I resolved this was to create a custom checkbox called Make Internal Comment Public.  Then wrote a Workflow that set the Published checkbox to true on the related Comment object if the Make Internal Comment Public checkbox had been checked.

This was selected as the best answer