function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
iOS DeviOS Dev 

Where is the sample data?

I'm having a bit of difficulty getting set up here.  I created a Developer Edition account and from what I've read here in the forums I should have sample data, but there is none and I can't find a way to load any.  I've looked around in both the menus and the docs.  It seems that the sample data is linked to the organization template but I can't figure out how to set or change that, either.

Can someone please fill me in?

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
AroraAnupAroraAnup

Whenever you sign up for a free Dev org, it does provide you sample records/data for Accounts, Contacts, Leads, Opportunities, Products, Cases, Campaigns etc. You need to individually click on the respective Tabs and select the relevant list views (example: under the Accounts Tab, click on All Accounts to see all account records). You should be able to see all the sample data that comes bundled along with the Dev org.

Let me know if you need further help with this!

All Answers

AroraAnupAroraAnup

Whenever you sign up for a free Dev org, it does provide you sample records/data for Accounts, Contacts, Leads, Opportunities, Products, Cases, Campaigns etc. You need to individually click on the respective Tabs and select the relevant list views (example: under the Accounts Tab, click on All Accounts to see all account records). You should be able to see all the sample data that comes bundled along with the Dev org.

Let me know if you need further help with this!

This was selected as the best answer
iOS DeviOS Dev

Thank you, CloudKnight!

To save anyone else some trouble when they make the same stupid mistake I did - when you go to the tabs, they are set by default to show entries that are "new last week".  The sample data is not new, so nothing shows up.  If you change the view to All, the data will be revealed.

When I searched this board I found a number of people with the same question but no answers - presumably they figured it out on their own.

Note to SalesForce - this could be avoided if all of the data was timestamped at the time the developer account was created.