function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
dmchengdmcheng 

Connect Eclipse IDE to Professional Edition with API?

I want to use Eclipse IDE to connect to one Professional Edition instance to copy custom object metadata and paste into another Professional Edition instance. Can this be done?  I have API enabled in both instances.

When I try to connect IDE to the source PE instance, I get an error "INVALID TYPE Cannot Use ApexClass in this organization" 

thanks

david

Brett_MooreBrett_Moore

Hi David,

Just curious if you ever solved this?

I am trying to make some changes to a project in a sandbox and everything is locked up. All I can get are ‘classes/ Not available to deploy for this organization’ or ‘INVALID TYPE: Cannot use ApexClass in this organization’  errors.

Have been searching the boards and knowledgebases, but haven't found anything relevant yet.

Thanks

Brett

dmchengdmcheng

We did not solve it.

lemuellemuel

I was looking for this as well.

I found a reference which indicates that (apart from an exceptional condition) it can't be done.

http://wiki.developerforce.com/page/Designing_an_Application_for_Group_and_Professional_Edition

"As a general rule, one cannot run Apex in a PE or GE. However, there is one exception to this rule. Apex that you develop in DE can run in GE and PE, if the following conditions are met:

1. Apex is installed into the GE and PE org via a managed package.
  2. Apex does not expose classes as a Web service - these can be installed, but not invoked (more below).
  3. Apex is not dependent on features and functionality that exist only in EE or UE (e.g., record types and/or Campaigns) unless it's dynamic Apex.
  4. Your app and Apex have passed the Security Review and been "Apex Authorized."

Please note this benefit is only available to eligible partners."