function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Cloud on FireCloud on Fire 

creating complex reports using multiple child objects

One of the most infuriating limitations of SFDC reporting is the lack of ability to create a report with fields and criteria from 2 objects that share a common parent (either via master-detail or lookup) but have no relation to each other. This has been on the ideaExchange for YEARS and I seem to remember Tom Tobin at DF10 (hope you are listening) claim they are working on this. But so far nothing. It is somewhat embarrassing when extolling the virtues of SFDC (of which there are many) and being rebuffed by the Business Users (yeah, those guys) saying what's the use of this whole system if we can't get the data we need out of it? So anyone have ideas on how to mine this data? Am I forced to create VF with custom controllers to display these reports? For example, we have the master record Student (really a Person Account). Hanging off Student we have Dates, which list dates the Student is actively matriculated, on leave, or left the institution, another object for the various Programs the student has gone through, another object for tracking tuition charges and scholarships. So if I want to know which students were active in July, were members of Program A, and haven't received Scholarship X, I have no way to do that using conventional reporting, even with Custom report types. The above example also highlights another missing feature, exception reporting which I don't think you can do even in SOQL. So if anybody, especially SFDC developers, has any advice on how to best create these types of reports, I would greatly appreciate it. And we I mentioned they could create reports on each child object, export to excel and merge the data, they were quite nonplussed.
Starz26Starz26

What about using junction objects to relate the children to each other?

May not work but it was the first thing that came to mind.

I agree this is frustrating. I currentl have to copy data in rollup fields, or just plain copy the data in formula fields to the parent in order to report like I want to. It add a lot of unecessary fields and data.