function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
DannyTKDannyTK 

New button to create a child record (with multiple record types) and return to parent record on save

Good afternoon, 

I'm trying to create a custom "new" button on a parent record that when clicked it goes to the record type selection page instead of the new child record page.

what i have so far is:

/a1N/e?retURL=%2F{!Sales_Order__c.Id}&saveURL=%2F{!Sales_Order__c.Id}

where Sales Order is the parent record.  So when pressed, it goes to the child record and on Save it goes back to the Parent record, which is what i was needing.  But my child record have multiple record types, so will need to be able to select the record type first.  Does anyone have a way to bring up the record selection page on custom button.

thanks everyone

TrimbleAgTrimbleAg

Hey Danny,

Ok not sure If I will be much help here or not...

My first question would be, is the parent a maser? If so, would you not be able to use the new button from the related list of the child object from the parent record?

Second,

I doubt this will work setting the relationship on select record type page... But if it does,I think you will need to change the URL to something like this.

&CF00NG0000009dtA8={!Case.CaseNumber}&00NG0000009dtA8_lkid={!Case.Id},

In the senerio above I am first reffering the the customer field ID from the child object &CF00NG0000009dtA8

Then I am telling it to use the the number ={!Case.CaseNumber}

Then I am setting the SFDC ID using the Ikid into the custom filed using the ID from the parent ID

&00NG0000009dtA8_lkid={!Case.Id}

Maybe some one else will be able to correct me, but you may need a VF page if the option above do not satisfy your answer.