function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
srikanth123srikanth123 

splash page when the user logs in

i have a requirement where in i have to show the users a splash page when ever he logs in to salesforce. Once the user clicks the ok button on the splash page he should be shown the home page. Any ideas?

*werewolf**werewolf*

You can achieve that using a home page component which pops up a Javascript alert and which stores a cookie noting that OK has been pressed (perhaps that cookie could store the Salesforce.com session ID -- presumably if the user logs in again later on the session ID will have changed -- while you can't rely on that fact it will very often be true).

srikanth123srikanth123

I am trying out your solution and i see that the home page component should always be a scontrol to check if the user is the home tab. if i use a vf page then i cannot check the current tab.

*werewolf**werewolf*

First of all, I don't think you can even write Scontrols anymore, and even when you already have them, they usually execute in the context of a different domain, so you still can't see what tab you're on. 

Secondly, it doesn't matter what tab you're on.  You mostly just want to show this message upon the user first logging in, right?  So show the message once, regardless of what tab you're on, and then store a cookie so that you don't show it again for that session.

srikanth123srikanth123

maintaining the session cookie will not work for me. As per my requirements the splash page needs to be shown only once in a day. To solve this problem I have created 2 visual force pages. One is the actual VF splash page and the other is the VF page that will be invoked when the home page component is rendered and this page will redirect to the splash page. I have created a custom field last logged in on the user object. so when ever the user logs into salesforce for the first time the splash page will be shown and the date will be updated to the current date on the user object.if the user logs in for the second time i'll check the date on the user object and if it is different than today then i'll show the splash screen. This is the solution that i worked out untill now any better ideas are always welcome.

S.AjS.Aj

Could you please elaborate on how the screen pop ups when the home page loads as I am trying to do similar thing but just can't figure out how to pop up the window automatically

Thanks in advance

Regards

S.Aj